Brain vs CNS infection in Scribble Angelfish

RxMike

I have a scribble anglefish is my HT. It had developed a traumatic lesion on its head after I think being chased and hitting reef rock. The wound looked bad. I have been treating it with maracyn plus which did not seem to help. I switched to Bifuran. This morning I find the fish is swimming weird. It is spinning around the tank, swimming upside down at times, it is definetly showing signs of a possible brain stem infection. I believe this is a very bad prognostic sign. The wound seems to be healing over nicely. I am not sure this fish can be saved at this point. I did a water change. I am not sure if I should continue treating with bifurcan or just removing all medications at this point.

The fish is contracted bending away from the side with the wound that is scarring over. it keeps swimming in an erratic pattern. Has anyone dealt with a simiar issue?

Last edited:
Bummer to hear, Mike - I haven't had to deal with that issue, but it sounds like it might be too far gone. I hope not.

You may want to consider using Kanamycin. It can be absorbed through the skin and may achieve a better therapeutic level.

I just checked on fish it is swimming around spinning in circles. If it is a swim bladder problem how do I treat it. The fish is not eating but it is fat so I think it can be saved if I can beat this infection. It is swimming entire tank spinning around. It goes to the surface as if it was gasping for air.

I just did a water change and redosed medication(Bi fur can) I am not giving up. I will fight it to the end. Just looks like a central nervous system infection, but what do I know. Maybe it is swim bladder. Is bifurcan effective for swim bladder?

Back