Breeding chromis?

JamisonSmith

Hello all,

I just got a batch of green chromis eggs from a fellow reefer here in MA and I'm going to give it a run on trying to raise them. Already hatched and i have a small bucket full of fry. So I am slowly dripping in rotifers and just started a batch of brine shrimp to start in a couple of days. Any additional thoughts?

Thanks,

Jamison

Hi Jamison,
Welcome to the fish breeding forum.
I raise clowns and pour my rotifers in. Actually, I rinse them off the plankton filter, because I don't want to introduce any of the water they've been growing in.

I think you will want the brine shrimp to be newly hatched--more nutritious and smaller for all the little mouths you will need to feed. It may be a few days before the babies can take newly hatched brine shrimp.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks Kathy!
I will definitely keep everyone posted. I've dabbled with ocellaris in the past, but these larva are much smaller!
Wish me luck!

Armando,

How is life treating you? Getting ready for the big move?

I have a mixed culture of S and L strain rotifers, probably more L though. We'll see how it works out. Lots of little fry lunging at rotifers this morning. I have the slow drip of rotifers in the bucket so hopefully, they will be good until I get home after work.

Have you ever tried raising Chromis?

Getting ready for the big move?
I have been getting ready for the past 4 months, and I'm still not ready! :)

I haven't tried raising Chromis.

Have you tried separating the S and L's by subsequent filtering using different sized sieves? I have several sizes I could lend you but unfortunately they are all in storage right now. I think you might have problems with fry choking if they eat the Ls.

I just ordered a couple different sixes of sieves from an aquaculture supply in FL and they should be here today so hopefully I can do exactly that, sieve out the large and only feed the smalller. We'll see.
The person I got the eggs from said that they are laying eggs about every 3 days! So if this batch doesn't work out I potentially have a lot of eggs to work with.

Back