Breeding setup for Clowns

ChelseaRanee

So its a little way down the track but I am looking at getting my breeding tanks set up now. Would I be better off with 3x28 litre (7.4 gallon) tanks or 1x70 litre (18.5 gallon) tank?

I can get a good deal so I wanted to get them now but I cant afford the set and the bigger one

You will want at least 10 gal min. 20 gal would be better though so between your choices go with the 18 gal. The 7 gal will be to small

18 gal and one pair. Believe me, once you get the pair going you will be out of space quickly. One pair produce a lot of babies if you want to raise everything. Use multi-pairs if you want to rise a patch from each pair to get variety in the offspring. Just a few patches and I got 1500 babies that I am still trying to get out of my fish room. Down to about 400+

18 gal and one pair. Believe me, once you get the pair going you will be out of space quickly. One pair produce a lot of babies if you want to raise everything. Use multi-pairs if you want to rise a patch from each pair to get variety in the offspring. Just a few patches and I got 1500 babies that I am still trying to get out of my fish room. Down to about 400+

I will agree with that. I have 2 pairs and way to many growout tanks, I had to stop raising them cause I am out of room. lol

You need at least one brood tank the 18 gal. One hatch tank about 5 gal and a huge number of hatchling tanks. Up to about 4 weeks or so they need to stay with their brood then the larger ones can go to community tanks grow out. How many grow out tanks depends on how many fish you can sell in your area. You can saturate the market really easy in a small to medium city or even a large city

I have 1 ten gallon with my ocellaris and a flower pot and a aquclear filter. They seem to like it, I mean they are laying so yap. Then I have my skunks in my display. And listen to the other people about were to put the fry at. I just got my 3, 20 gallon tanks for grow outs and I have 5, 10 gallons for fry tanks. LOTS OF TANKS. And if your trying to do this for money....DO NOT BOTHER EVEN TRYING. Sorry to be kind of harsh but i have never made any money off of this, on fact I've lost money.

Good luck ,
Jacob

I am looking at breeding for the challenge more than anything else. I am only just starting to look at it, can someone please explain the difference between brood and grow out tanks?

Right now I have a 20 gallon FOWLR tank which is where my clowns will be when I get them. In there I also have a young pair of ghost sleeper gobies and a peppermint shrimp (who I haven't seen for a bit) and a young Coral Beauty. I have a 132 gallon tank I am about to set up and I will move the goby pair and the CB into there once it is cycled. Once I have everything setup it will probably just be the clowns, the shrimp, and maybe one goby.

Will the 20 gallon I have as well as the 3 small tanks be alright? Or will I still be best off with the 18 gal?

Keep the breeding pair in brooding tank. Keep the babies in grow-out tanksuntil they are ready to sale

You will need a lot of grow out tanks. One small tank for hatching the fish and one brooding tank.

depending on how many clowns you wanna raise depends on how many growout tanks you will need.

for my 1 pair of ocy's I have 2 10 gal fry tanks, I will use these tanks to raise the clowns from eggs to a month of age.

for my growout tanks I have 8 going with more as backups, each 20 growout tank should be able to handle 150-200 clowns till around 6 months.

1 pair of ocy clowns can produce over 800 babies every 2 weeks just to give you an idea.

So my current 18gal will be my brood tank? And then I should get the 3x 8gal for fry up to a month then have somewhere to put them after that?

I would probably only look at raising one or two lots of babies then keep the spare tanks as back ups for quarantine or hospital tanks. So I was looking to go cheaper if possible. Would the 20 gal be okay as a grow out tank or a 52 gal be better(we had one leak at work that I could possibly get cheap and re seal)

I raised three spawn. I have a 20 gal, a 65 gal, 2X40 gals as grow out tanks and still find that I don't have enough room. I you just do this for the fun of it. Just choose the best fish to raise. I did not have a heart to cull by fish and end up with 1500+ babies :(

Thanks heaps, is there a way that I can raise less than an entire spawn? At work we pick out a 20-30 eggs and raise them rather than the whole lot. Thats with cichlids and cory catfish though. Would an egg tumbler or something similar work with clownfish eggs?

You hatch the whole patch and pick the strongest after about 1 week or so and discard the rest, if you have the heart to do it.

I got my fish to lay on tiles. I hatched 4 patch and end up with 1500 babies. I don't think I have any death after about day 5. Needless to say I have baby clowns coming out of my ears.

Back