Breeding system

jtreefdweller

I would like to set up a breeding system. By this I mean one system of tanks connected to a refugium/sump all plumbed together. One system will be for the broodstock pairs and the other system for raising the fry. Pretty much the broodstock system will have 2-4 20g or 15g high tanks and 10 10g tanks with a 55g sump. The fry setup would be a little different. I am really interested in how people have set this up and I don't know where to look. Anyone have any links or anyone done anything like this? I would like to hear the do's and don'ts so I can possibly bypass some difficulties. Thanks everyone.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14783522#post14783522 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rkelman
You've seen my thread. Checkout Fishboy's setup on rareclownfish.org

Thanks. I saw that you were using bioballs. What is the advantage of having bioballs over macroalgae?

Bioballs process ammonia and nitrites which can kill your fish and turn them into Nitrtates. You need some sort of bacterial filtration in your system. Basically your options are Bio-balls, Live rock, or Deep Sand Beds. There are some other types but I am not familiar with them.

Macoralgae helps export nutrients ie photsphates and Nitrates. Obviously some bacteria will colonize on macroalgae, but this type of filtration should not be your main source of processing waste.

I use a 7-8" deep sand bed as my filtration.

FB

Thanks FB.

rkelman: If possible could you post a link of fishboy's setup. I tried searching for it on rareclownfish.com but couldn't find it.

Ya what FB said. I also have a DSB on my setup though not as large as FB's I don't think. I'm going to try Chaeto in my system as well to lower nitrates. I honestly don't think it has a hope in hell of succeeding in a growout system.

jtreefdweller. I tried to find it again I can't. it was like the most popular thread on the site and I can't find it again. I even searched by his user name (fishboy42) and it didn't come up. I wonder if fishboy annoyed someone lol. He's on RC too you could pm him.

I put cheato in my system and it dies. Not sure why maybe not enough light but it always dies.

FB

Back