Brisle worm invasion

Mattfinley

HI I have a question about trying to kill Bristle worms that have invaded my green star polyp Coral I had my green star polyp coral on my sand bed and the bottom grew closed so it makes little canals or tunnels in the coral and I now have a lot of bristle worms living inside of the coral what would be the best way to kill them and get them out without damaging the GSP

Some wrasse will eat smaller ones. A small sized fish trap baited with a piece of shrimp overnight might attract them in - I've never needed to try a trap because I have 2 wrasse that I think eat them and keep their numbers very low.

A wrasse will keep them in check, but overtime they've become considered lest pest and more of a danger while handling rocks. I've been stung by one that way, and it wasn't fun.

If bristleworms are invading a coral it probably means that coral is having trouble. The worms, by eating decaying flesh, can actually help a coral survive. See what might be the trouble with the coral. Are others ok? Alkalinity around 8.3?

Do not put a six line wrasse. They are evil. Put an Arrow Crab. They are easy to catch in case they grow too big and are causing issues.

2nd the arrow crab . They seem to relish them and I love seeing them pull the bristleworms apart . Some bristleworms are not benign as some think . Yes I think they are good for a sand bed but I also think there are some types that are dangerous . Trying to figure that out is difficult .

I second what Frogman said. + They are a vital part of the cleanup crew. If you want to keep their numbers down make sure your not over-feeding your fish and when doing water changes vacuum the gravel to remove more waste that is feeding them.

Agree with carrots. they will stabilize themselves and any population explosion is most likely due to lack of siphoning and overfeeding

Back