bristle worm and clam??

xxxBevo

I have just added 100lbs of live sand and 75lbs of live rock to my new tank. I notice that there are a lot of bristle worms in the sand. Do I need to get rid of the bristle worms before I can add any clam? or bristle worms do not bother clams?

TIA,
Steven

hmmmm...

hmmmm...

10 years ago when I was 1st into the hobby, bristle worms were evil, evil, evil death killing machines of the highest order.

Today people tell me they are good scavengers and to leave them alone.

For me, the jury is still out on that one. I remove any I see, just to be on the safe side, but I have yet to lose anything (that I am aware of) to a bristle worm.

I suppose you could be really mercenary and put in some yellow polyps for a while and see if the worms leave them alone, but I'll probably get flamed for this idea.

They are usually benificial to your tank. Some people blame bristle worms for clam deaths, but 99% of the time the worm is eating the clam because it died! That's their job, they're scavengers.

Bristle worms are fantastic.
I have dozens up to 14 or so inches. I have several that live under my clams around the foot and as yet I have not had any problems with my clams.

big bristle worm

big bristle worm

I use large clams as part of my filtration system. They live in a 200 gal sump which runs about half full most of the time (110 gals.) The sump has live rock and a deep sand bed as well and is lit with metal halides. As you can imagine it has turned into quite the refugium and I use it as a nursery when something is injured or needs a rest. The sand bed is loaded with bristle worms. There was one huge worm I saw occasionally measuring about 18 inches long and as big around as my thumb. He never bothered anything. Yesterday I added a crocea and in the space of 5 minutes this worm was there trying to climb into the crocea. I took one look at that agression and Reached for the tongs. Flushed that sucker immediately. He lived a long life in the sump until he overstepped his bounds. Do not have a clue why it picked on this one crocea. I think the size of the bristle worm relative to the clam might have something to do with this incident. Just my two cents worth.

I dont think its a problem, but to be on the safe side, add a six-line wrasse. These fish are necessary to the life of the clams, for they feed on them pesky terabellied snails, They also eat bristleworms and other parasites!

Take care!

Six-Line wrasse?

Six-Line wrasse?

Really? I have one because it is pretty and friendly and eats like a pig, but can you point out the spot where you found this info? I find this very valuable for future reference!

6-liner

6-liner

I have found out about these little fish from a book called Natural Reef Aquariums by Tullock. There is a section in there about setting up a tank that is suitable for clams. I also inquired about this phenomenon at my local fish store (been a customer of theirs for years!). They said yes it is true and that all reef tanks, clams or no clams, should have this little predator.

Take care!

I do pick my clams up from time to time to check them over for worms. I have noticed that small bristle worms will get into bottom hindge of the clam sometimes. I have never seen ill effects form this but I will remove them if I can.

Alex

Back