bristleworm in seahorse tank...

seahorse.tank

I have a 45 gallon tank with2 seahorses. Then I have an overpopulation of bristle worms:headwallblue: Is there any way to get rid of these dreadful things except traps??:confused:

The only way to rid yourself of all of them is to disassemble your tank. I siphon mine out or sometimes I grab some with a turkey baster during feeding time.

Here's a question for you. Since you have an over growth of them,is there a chance you are feeding your horses too much and/or not siphoning out the food not eaten by them?

The only way to rid yourself of all of them is to disassemble your tank. I siphon mine out or sometimes I grab some with a turkey baster during feeding time.

Here's a question for you. Since you have an over growth of them,is there a chance you are feeding your horses too much and/or not siphoning out the food not eaten by them?

We feed them a little over board sometimes but we never see any left over food at the bottom of the tank so we don't think anything of it.

Never owned a seahorse but would love to...I once had a deco arrow crab and I actually saw him devour them..he might go after your house though

I once had bristleworms in my seahorse tank...dosed the tank with Panacur and it killed them off. But it will also kill off fan worms and some other ornamental invertebrates. Might be hard on soft corals too if you have any in there...not sure.

We feed them a little over board sometimes but we never see any left over food at the bottom of the tank so we don't think anything of it.

Those bristle worms are making sure of that. If you reduce food waste their population will go down. You can dose the tank with chemicals that will get rid of inverts and kill them off, but I really would just go the natural route and reduce food waste.

why are you are worried about the worms? Every healthy tank has them. Add more diversity of micro fauna and don't over feed. Add some fresh rocks with a higher diversity of life. If the bristle worms are dominate you don't have enough diversity of reef central pest myths. Micro fauna are important. Yes I have bristle worms in my sea horse tanks, thank God.

- Mark

Back