Broadfield's Red Sea Reefer 450 Build

Would you be so kind as to comment a bit more on it? I heard some bad reviews on it. Skimming, break in, pump, customer service, cleaning.

I'm curious, when you made holes in the cabinet, did you seal the edges with something?

If you are referring to the large ones in the center brace, then technically yes. The one that the cables go through is a 1" bulkhead fitting... so it has the rubber pads for each side. Then the other is a 3/4" bulkhead that my water change pipe goes through.

Well, I pulled the other two Hydra 52's off of my other tank and slapped them on the Reefer 450, but they were not on there for long... I'll explain later.

21050814886_e50fd0ec46_b.jpg

Soooooo, I swapped out my (3) Hydra 52's for (5) Primes. I'm sure some might think I'm crazy, but I'll explain why I did it. First off, I have had Hydra 52's on a couple of different tanks and have never been happy with the spectrum. I could never get the crisp white/blue color like that of a Kessil. So I walk into MACNA this year and the first thing I see is the Aqua Illumination booth. There sits an Innovative Marine tank with a couple of Primes over it. I'm instantly drawn to it because of the light spectrum. I immediately ask one of the AI guys if they mind giving me the color percentages they are using so I can get the same look on my 52's. He says "NO"! As I'm thinking in my head, "what a ****", he instantly follows up with: "no, because the 52's cannot duplicate this spectrum." I obviously assumed the Primes used the same pucks as the 52's and 26's... but I was wrong. The Primes use Cree Blues in place of the Cree Royal Blues found on the 26/52. So my very next question was about the PAR levels of the Primes and if they would be enough on my tank. He said that they absolutely would be enough for a Reefer 450. He claimed they have them on plenty of tanks at the office with same depth and have great growth from SPS that are midway to high in the tank... which is exactly what I want since I'm doing LPS and softies also. So I pulled the trigger and sold all of my 52's, mounts etc and purchased the Primes... even made some money in the whole deal.

So got them on about a couple weeks ago and am very happy that I took the chance on them. My PAR fears were eliminated once I pulled the PAR meter out. I'm at 500 PAR at 6" below the water line and around 60-75 on the substrate. That's even with the lights sitting as high as they can on the AI brackets. I also don't get any spill, front-to-back, like I did with the 52's. On top of that, I really like the look of 5 much smaller fixtures.

I just got my Neptune WAV kit put in last night... I'll be posting up info about that soon. First impressions: WOW!

21735593102_bbee427ee1_b.jpg

21550815516_1c62c742fb_b.jpg

20955894943_2dc5927f44_b.jpg

A tad bit of modification to the Reefer overflow cover:

20954264434_7bef729b96_b.jpg

I put my new light fixture up also:)

21389168748_dc372ce4aa_b.jpg

There are two different versions of Hydra52/26 actually made. The US and EU version. The only difference is that US versions use a Royal Blue Cree led, where as EU version has Blue Cree Led.

I recently picked up a 4 x hydra52s ( EU versions ) from the RC classifieds and the seller explained this to me. Thats why the new Hydra52 HD version drops the deep blue and offers both Blue and Royal Blue channels

There are two different versions of Hydra52/26 actually made. The US and EU version. The only difference is that US versions use a Royal Blue Cree led, where as EU version has Blue Cree Led.

I recently picked up a 4 x hydra52s ( EU versions ) from the RC classifieds and the seller explained this to me. Thats why the new Hydra52 HD version drops the deep blue and offers both Blue and Royal Blue channels

Yeah, I spoke in depth with AI and even the AI European rep at MACNA. The Primes are still slightly different than the Euro 52. The Euro uses OSRAM OSLON Very Deep Blue and the Prime uses OSRAM SQUARE Deep Blue. On top of that, the new Hydra 26/52HD uses something different than the Euro, the Prime and the old 26/52... it uses Cree Royal Blue in conjunction with the Cree Blue. So it looks like this:

Prime: Cree Deep Blue + Cree Blue
EU 52: Cree Very Deep Blue + Cree Blue
US 52: Cree Royal Blue + Cree Deep Blue
US 52HD: Cree Royal Blue + Cree Blue

I probably would of been satisfied with the pucks from the Euro, but that would of been some serious scratch for 12 of them.

Very interesting info.

I want to try replacing 1 or 2 pucks in my EU Hydra52 with US Hydra52 pucks to see what the spectrum would be. Technically having more variety of LEDs in a fixture would provide a more complete spectrum to the corals. A US/EU hybrid Hydra52 would have UV, Violet, Very Deep Blue, Deep Blue, Royal Blue and Blue LED chips.

BTW, If you want I may be able to get more EU Hydra52s.

Love the look of the lights :)

We have 6 A360WEs mounted on goosenecks above our tank with no canopy :)

Back