Broadfield's Red Sea Reefer 450 Build

Thanks for the detailed information about the Loc-Line. This will really help me. I'm not going to lie, I've been following your thread and going to mimic my right side cabinet just like yours. I got my new APEX on its way.

As previously stated, I replaced stock sump with Precision Marine and hard plumbed the entire thing. I also have a custom ATO from Precision Marine. I'm a little OCD and want underneath my tank to be clean.

I'm going with 2 Radion XR30's for my lighting. I love the Giesemann and seriously thought about going that direction. I know this sounds ridiculous but didnt want the power cable hanging down the tank.

Keep the post coming. Thanks again

Attachments

• sump1.JPG
    sump1.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 0
  • sump2.JPG
    sump2.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 0
Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been beyond busy with work, my personal business and my wife's business. I would of answered all of these questions, but I didn't even receive notification of the replies... I just assumed nobody was paying attention to this thread lol.

I'm loving the Giesemann fixture... as I should for the money I paid:hmm2: Much better coverage than the Primes and I'm seeing much better coral growth... like a lot better coral growth. Once things settle down a tad more, I will be shooting my next short update video. Which I look forward to since it will be the first video with the new fixture. In the meantime, here's a couple of iPhone images:

IMG_6711 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6701 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Is that the new Aurora??? :eek1:

Hi, can i just confirm what size Loc-Line you used for the split return? In an earlier post you said you glued on a 3/4" Loc-Line Y adapter and from there it was whatever 1/2" Loc-Line stuff you want to use, but the parts you listed above in a more recent post are all 1/2" pieces? Just want to clarify as i intend to make the same modification to my 450. Tank and setup looks great, this thread will be very useful when i come to set mine up :).

Hi, can i just confirm what size Loc-Line you used for the split return? In an earlier post you said you glued on a 3/4" Loc-Line Y adapter and from there it was whatever 1/2" Loc-Line stuff you want to use, but the parts you listed above in a more recent post are all 1/2" pieces? Just want to clarify as i intend to make the same modification to my 450. Tank and setup looks great, this thread will be very useful when i come to set mine up :).

The parts I listed above are the no-glue solution!... so that's what you want :)

These look great. Are you more happy with the Aurora then the Hydra's?

I never liked the "old" Hydra spectrum... which is the reason I went the five Primes. The Hydras were only on there for a month or so.... they were off of my old tank. The Aurora is amazing, plain and simple. Great growth, great coverage, no shadowing... just really expensive:sad2:

I keep seeing other's "see-through" tanks and love the illusion of depth it provides when it's up against a lightly painted wall. I said "F it" and yanked the black film off the back of my Reefer lol. I only had two concerns before doing it: 1) I really didn't want to see cables hanging down the back... would kind of defeat the purpose of doing it and 2) is it going to look goofy with the black overflow still in place. I figured out a way to hide the powerhead cables and light fixture cables... so I went for it. I knew there was nothing I could really do about the overflow being black. But I came up with an easy and slick way to hide the powerhead cables going down the back.

IMG_6805 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

For the light fixture, I simply routed the cables along the backside of the fixture, then dropped the cables down behind the overflow. For the powerheads, I bought some aluminum 90 degree stock, cut to length and then painted them black. Since the Reefer series use black silicone for the seams, the painted black aluminum blends right in... it basically forms a cap around the end of the tank. I simply double stuck the aluminum trim to the corner of the tank and left just enough space for the powerhead cable to pressure fit inside. It also allows me to just pull the cable right out for powerhead cleaning etc.

IMG_6802 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6803 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I never liked the "old" Hydra spectrum... which is the reason I went the five Primes. The Hydras were only on there for a month or so.... they were off of my old tank. The Aurora is amazing, plain and simple. Great growth, great coverage, no shadowing... just really expensive:sad2:
True that, but my new tank will be 4ft. The 4ft aurora in Belgium is 1500 USD. So cheaper than a Radion solution and equal to 2 Hydra fixtures.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

can you please write the exact model of that Giesemann Lighting u have
allso i have the reefer 525 150cm wide.what is the size that i need 120 or 150 cm?
(im very new to the hobby soory)
thank you

can you please write the exact model of that Giesemann Lighting u have
allso i have the reefer 525 150cm wide.what is the size that i need 120 or 150 cm?
(im very new to the hobby soory)
thank you

I have the 120cm. I personally like the look of the smaller fixture over the 150cm tank. I get perfectly acceptable coverage at the ends. And it only leaves 15cm at each end anyway.

Wow, very nice. I love the rocks work and corals placement. I'm glad you went with the "lest is more" look. I think T5 + LED are great for corals growth and color.

Back