Broadfield's Red Sea Reefer 450 Build

Very nice setup. What type and size fittings did you use to connect your plumbing to the Red Sea return pipe. Thanks and sorry if I missed in thread.

Very nice setup. What type and size fittings did you use to connect your plumbing to the Red Sea return pipe. Thanks and sorry if I missed in thread.

The Red Sea fitting is metic. However, a US imperial fitting with extra Teflon tape will work perfectly fine. If you are wanting to hard plumb directly to the Red Sea return pipe, then you will need either a 3/4" or 1" threaded NPT to slip joint adapter. Sorry, but I don't remember if it was a 3/4" or 1" threaded NPT... that was a year ago. I simply removed the Red Sea fitting and took it to Menards with me to match up. If you can't do that, just buy both... they are like $2 each. The slip joint size will simply be whatever size piping you are running... I assume you are running either 3/4" or 1" pipe. This is what the threaded NPT to slip joint adapter looks like:

male_adaptor_1.jpg

Thanks so much for the super fast assist. I'm going to order both to be safe. Your tank is amazing. I'm co-opting a bunch of ideas. ��

Broadfield,

You tank is amazing and so is your sump. I am building out a 425XL.

Is your return pump hard piped in or are you using tubing?

Thanks

Thanks for the info! Yes, will you come do it for me?

I am excited to do this build. Going to go nice and slow and enjoy it. Still trying to figure out skimmer, but I think I am leaning towards the NYOS 160.

Thanks again

Thank you very much! You can see in the following image the hard piping leading up to a union. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

IMG_5972 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Thanks for the info! Yes, will you come do it for me?

I am excited to do this build. Going to go nice and slow and enjoy it. Still trying to figure out skimmer, but I think I am leaning towards the NYOS 160.

Thanks again

The Nyos 160 is a fine choice!

Picked up a couple of pieces from a local frag swap over the weekend. Excuse my excitement, but we don't have a LFS where I live. So being able to actually see a coral in person, and buy it, is not a common occurrence for me.

Picked up a Forest Fire. I have wanted one of these for a while. I just never wanted to pay for shipping on a piece that isn't really that expensive.

IMG_6179 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Picked up an orange wall hammer to add to my already thick collection of Euphyllia. My good friend, that knows a lot more about coral than me, said the green on it may take over if I don't have it in a low light area. So I'll have to keep an eye on it.

IMG_6120 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6123 (2) by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Lastly I picked up an Orange Crush and Strawberry Shortcake that can be seen in the background.

IMG_6190 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Broadfield,

I just ordered a 425XL and have been doing research on it. I was originally planning a full DIY set up, but then got the 425 for a great price. I've, of course, come across some of your mods (particularly for the return nozzle) and have been inspired. I really enjoy your tank and hope I can do some of what you've done with mine. I made a thread as well, but the tank hasn't even been delivered yet :)

Back