Brook, velvet?

My system is also 500g. That's why I didn't go the sterilizing route. I assume you also have cycled rocks and maybe a cleanup crew? On a small tank I absolutely agree that sterilizing is quick and easy and would recommended that approach. On 500g I think it's too much work. I took the fallow approach when I was in this situation. While waiting I set up quarantine tanks and was able to start acquiring livestock and began prophylactic treatments in qt tanks. To give yourself some peace of mind with the fallow method you could also hit the tank with a heavier CP dose as well.

Since it was most likely Brooklynella, I would dose the tank with formalin instead of CP if going the fallow route. Formalin is easier to come by, and it's the gold standard for eliminating Brook. By the way, 6 weeks is the standard fallow period for Brook. Brooklynella hostilis does not have a complex life cycle like Cryptocaryon or Amyloodinium; it reproduces by binary fission only.

Since it was most likely Brooklynella, I would dose the tank with formalin instead of CP if going the fallow route. Formalin is easier to come by, and it's the gold standard for eliminating Brook. By the way, 6 weeks is the standard fallow period for Brook. Brooklynella hostilis does not have a complex life cycle like Cryptocaryon or Amyloodinium; it reproduces by binary fission only.

Perfect, where can I get some formalin and what's the dosage?

Emptying the tank, removing the rocks, live sand, etc...too much work and way too much water and salt mix :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My system is also 500g. That's why I didn't go the sterilizing route. I assume you also have cycled rocks and maybe a cleanup crew? On a small tank I absolutely agree that sterilizing is quick and easy and would recommended that approach. On 500g I think it's too much work. I took the fallow approach when I was in this situation. While waiting I set up quarantine tanks and was able to start acquiring livestock and began prophylactic treatments in qt tanks. To give yourself some peace of mind with the fallow method you could also hit the tank with a heavier CP dose as well.

What issue did you run into with your tank?

Question, will brook or velvet still feed of a dead fish while it decomposes? I can't get to two dead clowns and wondering when by fallow window starts...?

Question, will brook or velvet still feed of a dead fish while it decomposes? I can't get to two dead clowns and wondering when by fallow window starts...?

Typically, the parasites will leave the host upon death. However, I'd try to get the dead fish out if possible.

Back