Brown Algae

JurisHP

Over the past month or so, I’m getting A LOT of brown algae on the bed and glass. I thought it was diatoms, and maybe so. But it won’t go away. The only new thing I have done is added a refugium to my sump with the sump light on for 16 hours/day. Maybe this is the culprit? Or maybe my Radion G5 blues? Any input is greatly appreciated.

How long is the tank set up? Diatoms need silicates so there would have to be a source or it's not diatoms.

I’ve had the G5’s for a couple of years. My phosphate and nitrate is always really high which is why I setup the refugium.

Chaeto. Bio blocks. I dose Brightwell Chaeto Gro. A bag of carbon.
Any one of those could be the source or fueling the brown algae. Could have came in with the chaeto. Could be fueled by one of the elements in the chaeto grow. Did you just start dosing chaeto grow because you thought you should or was the chaeto not growing? With high phosphate and nitrate it should have been fine unless iron was the limiter. What kind of grazers do you have? Most snails will go after brown algae unless it's dino's ( unlikely with the age and nutrient levels of your tank). If it's crysophytes I find cerith snails love the stuff. Got any pictures of the offending algae?

From kharmaguru ‘s reply, iron could be the keyword. Not uncommen for chaeto nutrients supplements to contain iron

Back