Brown Growth on LR, Needs ID

Mantis Toboggan

Hello,

New member to RC; this is my first post because I have unable to ID the following growth on my LR. Please see pictures. For size comparison you can see the legs of my skunk shrimp in the first pic.

IMAG4509.jpg

IMAG4510.jpg

I would like to think it's not Aiptasia as the tentacles are not smooth. Not sure if it is a form of polyp, hydroid, etc. It does respond (curls up slightly) to touch stimuli from my skunk shrimp.

These are very small, < 1/2 - 3/4 inch tall. They appear to be on 1-2 pieces of my live rock, but do not seem to be increasing in individual size much (at least since I've started watching).

Any info would be much appreciated. Looking forward to your replies.

Actually, those don't look like hydroids to me, especially in the first picture. It looks more like a matting soft coral like anthelia (can't remember the family). They can be invasive, but aren't as destructive as hydroids.

@rssjsb, I think you might be right with the Anthelia.

I actually have an Anthelia in my tank now which is blue in color; also which I come to read now may be invasive and not permitted at frag swaps. Not sure, looks like it still has value on liveaquaria. Perhaps there are different species, some of which that are not as much of a pest.

Hi everyone, just trying to bump this. Not convinced its hydroids or aiptasia.
If someone has a link they could post with a picture of invasive anthelia I would apprieciate it. It is spreading over my rock, but not growing very tall. Any ideas are appreciated.

Back