BRS dosing and the Apex Trident/Dos

Spaced Cowboy

South Bay Reefer
I set up my Trident a couple of weeks ago, and it's been happily telling me my alk is way too low (6.95) even after calibration and although this is natural seawater :)

So, today I set up the DOS with the BRS two-part (still think that's misnamed, since there are three things, but ok)... and ran through the calculator to see how much to dose per day...

According to that, using their pouches, a current Alk of 6.95 dKh, and a desired Alk of 8.4, I'd need to dose 362.5ml into my 350G tank. Thats a lot more than I was expecting (not that I have much to base the expectation on other than the size of the DDR reservoirs at 2L).

Does that mean that every day it needs this much, or is this something I do once, and then the next day's is less, and the next day's still less until some equilibrium is reached with the water-change regime ? FWIW I change 1 gallon of seawater every 2 hours, using an automatic changer. Actually, as I write this, that seems more likely... There's a grand total of 4 corals in the tank (it's been FOWLR, it's moving to become a reef tank at last) so I doubt there's *too* much consumption going on just yet. Still, it'd be good to get some confirmation, because 362.5ml/day sounds like a *lot* :)

What you need to do, is manually raise you alk to your desired level, and maintain it there for a few days. Once stable, pick a starting time, say 6:00pm for example, and test your water. Then in 24 hours (6:00pm the next day) see how much your alk has dropped. That is what you base your daily dosing amount on. I would try this for several days to get an average, then set up your DOS. Once that is running, you can fine tune it.
FYI... I dose 100ml of BRS 2 part daily in a heavy SPS 120g. My alk is 9.0.

What you need to do, is manually raise you alk to your desired level, and maintain it there for a few days. Once stable, pick a starting time, say 6:00pm for example, and test your water. Then in 24 hours (6:00pm the next day) see how much your alk has dropped. That is what you base your daily dosing amount on. I would try this for several days to get an average, then set up your DOS. Once that is running, you can fine tune it.
FYI... I dose 100ml of BRS 2 part daily in a heavy SPS 120g. My alk is 9.0.

Ta :) Much appreciated :)

Back