Bryopsis Algae (Bryposis plumosa), is it good for a refugium ?

I would say no. Hardly anything will eat it, and it is very hard to remove from whatever it is growing on, except maybe in the case of sand. It may remove lots of stuff, impurities, but, I don't have that data, and don't really think it would, but it could. Bryopsis is not fun imo.

I would be concerned it would find its way to your display tank and therefor, would not be worth the risk.

ri

Ok then, I'll look for another algae sp.

So, what is the best caulerpa sp. to have in a refugium?

and what is the best lighting period for it. ?

Thanks

What about Ulva sp. (Sea Lettuce). ?

Re: What about Ulva sp. (Sea Lettuce). ?

Re: What about Ulva sp. (Sea Lettuce). ?

snake said:

Grows very fast, fresh green color, likes high light, looks nice, non-toxic (edible, even), BUT because it's seen as a nice snack by lots of organisms it is often eaten faster than it can grow. It prefers elevated nutrients, and may "starve" in a reef tank.
The situation is much the same with Chaetomorpha.

I've had no problem growing chaetomorpha (LOA 6500k light), but no luck with the ulva. It doesn't die, but it doesn't grow. In the tank forget about it. EVERYTHING seems to eat it.

I would think the fact that everything eats it would make it that much more desirable... Just toss some in the fuge and when it grows enough place a bit in the display tank every week or something... Just a thought,
Brian

My Ulva grows super fast. It more than doubles every 2 weeks. It actually grows faster than my caulerpas. My 20g fuge is lit by 2 X 55 watt pc's. 1 10k and 1 actinic. I highly recommend this as it is also very attractive. It deosn't seem to grow onto sand, rocks, or glass either.

Good stuff.:D

Mmmm, I got ulva into my fuge instead Bryopsis, mine does not grow aparently but does not die either.

Mine is in a 10 gal fuge with two 15w 6500Ã"šÃ‚°K pc.

do you think actinic light makes a diference or woul it be the 10000Ã"šÃ‚°K ?

Also, have anyone of you ever used pink light to grow algae ?

Thanks

FWIW, healthy Ulva has a "holdfast", so it should ideally be attached to the rock. I don't know how the plant differentiates, but perhaps you can get it to grow "roots" or a holdfast by attaching it to rock (that's where mine grows). You might also be able to plant a tip of it in the sand, but, I don't know.

Like Mike_Noren said above, Ulva likes bright light, and grows fast (IME). This is the first time I've seen or heard of Ulva growing under flourescent bulbs, but, I have limited experience with Ulva.

Back