Bryopsis wins

sclark0548

I posted a thread back in May about fighting bryopsis in my tank. This week I am throwing in the towel. I ordered a new tank and am going to start from scratch and just bleach out the old tank and put it on Craigslist I was wondering if it would be safe to reuse any of my old live rock. I read where some folks were actually freezing the infested rock to kill the bryopsis then re-curing it. I have some awesome pukani pieces that I would like to reuse if possible. I plan to purchase some new live rock as well.

The bryopsis killed most of my corals, so very few of those will be moving over, if any. I plan to sanitize my skimmer and any other equipment I will be reusing on the new tank. The last thing I want is for the bryopsis to get into my new system.

On the bright side, I get to setup a new system and start buying new corals. It will be nice to have a tank I can enjoy. After pulling algae out weekly for the last year or so, I am so ready for a change.

Would you really want to take the risk? Besides, the bryopsis is deeply rooted in the rock anyway. Id bite the bullet and get all new rock. Just my .02

Sorry to hear about the bryopsis. You can definitely bleach or peroxide a few of your favorite pieces and let them dry out for a month or so and you have base rock. After there good and dry for at least 4 weeks you can then start to recure them with some fresh saltwater and a lanthanum product like Thrive phosphate remover to bind any remaining phosphates leaching out of the old rocks. Once this is done get some good fresh live rock and continue to cure them all together and all should be fine just use mostly new live rock for the fresh bacteria that will be needed once you setup your new tank.

Clean the rock in Muratic Acid, then do a bleach bath, the trapped phosphates and organic's will be gone, (along with anything else that is alive or not in the rocks) after your done soak the rocks in RO/DI for a few days and your good to go. I did this with my Rock before I restarted my tank, worked like a charm. If you have any questions on how I did mine send me a PM and I will give you some detail on what worked for me. Here is a RC link on the info I used, then I put my own twist to it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587539&highlight=muratic+acid+live+rock

Back