Bubble tip anemone and digitata

Ralistin

Premium Member
I was always under the impression that any anemone would kill any SPS if they touched. What are your experiences with this? Here is a shot of my bubble tip and a frag of digitata. The anemone has been doing so well that it extends a few inches further then it has in the past. In the current it brushes up against the frag quite frequently. The polyps will hide most of the time when this happens but when the anemone isn't touching it they usually come back soon after. I have also noticed at the very base the polyps stay in more often because they get the most friction. Assuming I leave things as are, should I expect the frag to die just from the consistent harassment?

I would like to hear other experiences with anemones touching various types of SPS.

14842bubble3.jpg

14842bubble4.jpg

I belive you are right. What are your thoughts though short term with contact such as this with various SPS?

I don't think short-term contact will cause too many problems, but the polyps will disappear for a bit. My RBTA was covering the edge of a montipora caprocornis recently. I moved the coral, and see no lasting ill effects. It also hit a frogspawn, anthelia, and two patches of zoos (all of which seem to have recovered) before setting into this hole.

rbta_in_tank.jpg

Hey Jeff, is that saying on your tag line your own or did it come from a quote? Also, I see you live only minutes away. I am not sure if you welcome company or not but I always love to see and learn new things. PM me if you would not mind a short visit to see your tank. Thanks for the response and information too. I was always worried about the anemone in my tank.

I can't take credit for the saying, although it's one of my favorites. I know despair.com uses it in one of their demotivator posters, but I think I saw it somewhere before that too.

I would welcome a visit at some point in the future, but my setup isn't ready for prime time just yet. I'm dealing with a dead return pump right now, in the middle of a couple of projects, and don't even have fish in the big tank (all well documented in my tank thread). Ask me again in a month or two. :D

no question that you should plan a digi funeral soon if something doesn't change. I recently found a trader for my anemone, I loved the guy but am totally into corals...

I will certainly move the frag. I was more concerned about short term touching, in the range of a couple of hours, and the effects to various SPS corals.

Jeff, no worries about the visit. If you ever need frags (Not that I could supply many) or just want to see my tank you are welcome to.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6493865#post6493865 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ralistin
Oh yeah! BTW, GO HEAT! :D

I now retract the help that I tried giving you :p

Pistons 28W 5L
Heat 21W 15L 8.5 games behind the Pistons. nuff said :p

Now now. Heat had a much better record last year and see where it got us. Even though Detroit is a better team right now who knows what might happen if Rip gets a rib injury and Ben gets a bad leg. :rollface:

I still believe the Heat have the talent. Question is if the chemistry will work itself out come playoff time.

Oh, this is about reef aquariums so I had better involve something reef. Unless you know Kids In The Hall this joke won't make any sense to you. See, my Emerald crab is a Heat fan too. It says , "I am crushing your head" to all those Piston fans. :D

14842Emerald.jpg

I have noticed that short term contact does not do that much harm if the coral is healthy. However, when it continues--hours, days, who knows--the coral may recede in those areas or even contract some form of necrosis. I have noticed that after my H. crispa has contacted some corals, little damage is done if I alleviate is ASAP. Even ones that are in contact longer seem to recover once the anemone stops stinging it.

Back