Got Stung!

Chris Craig

Today i was grabbing some corals for a friend and rested my forearm on a bubble tip. The thing stung me something fierce! felt like a couple bee stings and tons of little red bumps; probably a 2" by 3" area. Pains mostly gone, tender to the touch now and the skin is all goosebumped. Just wondering about other peoples experiences with stings. Been in the hobby 7 years and this cought me of guard haha.
Cheers!

I’ve been poppped by a carpet anemone before…had a hundred or more little red dots on my hand for a couple of days.

Never had any issues except a very mild rash from a Carpet anemone.

Last edited:
I’ve never had any issues with anemones. Stick to me sure but no rash issues. The only thing that’s bugged me was when I got hit by a baby volitan lion. My own fault, brushed right up against him while cleaning his tank at an LFS I worked at. Even then that experience while painful was minor compared to what some people describe.

I’ve never had any issues with anemones. Stick to me sure but no rash issues. The only thing that’s bugged me was when I got hit by a baby volitan lion. My own fault, brushed right up against him while cleaning his tank at an LFS I worked at. Even then that experience while painful was minor compared to what some people describe.
Hah! How about getting my knuckle chewed on by a large ravenous dog face puffer?? I had some great experiences working at my LFS as well…still have the scar 😂

Hah! How about getting my knuckle chewed on by a large ravenous dog face puffer?? I had some great experiences working at my LFS as well…still have the scar 😂
The most painful bleeder was a medium size red belly pirahna bite. We fed them feeders and me being the teen boy idiot that I was, while also showing off for some cute girls, stuck my finger in the tank and they assumed feeding time.

The most painful bleeder was a medium size red belly pirahna bite. We fed them feeders and me being the teen boy idiot that I was, while also showing off for some cute girls, stuck my finger in the tank and they assumed feeding time.
Wow. Those are highly illegal in the south

I'm surprised they're not illegal here in Missouri. I believe it was 2007 when 2 piranha were caught (in different locations) in the Lake of the Ozarks.

I'm surprised they're not illegal here in Missouri. I believe it was 2007 when 2 piranha were caught (in different locations) in the Lake of the Ozarks.
I’m in Georgia. It doesn’t get cold enough here to kill them…not sure if I’d want to be sharing a lake/river with them even if it’s just for a couple of months each summer though.

I had a large pacu in one my freshwater tanks a few decades ago. An aquarium store offered to buy it from me. The store didn't know they were related to parahna until he ripped a girls hand up.

Red bellies are legal here in Ohio and also in Maryland (at least last I knew).

Back