Bubble tip Anemone question....

kohlton

Not sure if I am posting this in the right area, if not, my apololgies...

I just bought a bubble tip. After placing it in the tank, it has wedged itself inbetween a couple live rocks pretty deep at the bottom of the tank. I understand these need substantial light... Is it ok?

showphoto.php

Thanks in advance!

They are fine.....they will move to where they want to be.....if they dont feel they are getting enough light they will move to the light...if they are getting to much they will move away...just give him a few days.....

Anenomes on the move mean an un happy anenome. They move because they need something. It could be light or flow related.

I would give him a week to see if he settles down somewhere. I would also try and feed him something small after a week too.

Brad

Everything said above is correct. He will keep moving untill he is happy.

NOW THE PROBLEM. When he moves, he will sting / kill any corals in his way.

should I net?

should I net?

Do you think I should soft net the Bubble mid way up the tank in a nice crevice on the live rock?

I have the following corals in my tank..

- Two Leather Toadstools (one is over a ft in diameter)
- Blastos
- Torch (complete other side of the tank (80g)
- Ton of Zoos
- Green and yellow star polyps
- Staghorn
- Hammer
- Montipora Plate Coral
- Bullseye Mushroom
- misc mushrooms

there is no way to force an anemone to stay where you want. If you can somehow stop him from moving it probably wont survive. its got to have the perfect combo of light, flow and water quality.

I just put it in at most 5 hours ago. I belive it will be fine. Had a Condy and LTA and they were both fine, opted to give them to a friend and bought the Bubble for the two clowns I have.

Your NEVER going to get the BTA to stay where you want him. If you do......DROP everything & go play the Lottery.

You can move him all you want, if he dont like it, he will just move himself.

I have a ( kinda ) trick that has helped in the past. Theres no guarantee that it will work....But

When I see the BTA move, I watch the direction that he moves day by day. If I see it keep moving to the left & toward the top. I move it to that area & try to stop the coral killing it its path.

You will need to also move the rock that its attached to at the time.

Not saying it works....I just had it help

Happy Reefing..................:dance:

Leaving the lights on won't help and may stress it out further. You can try to make an area what you believe will be favorable and see if it will settle. I have thought about trying to use a clamp lamp as a spot light to make a bright spot in the tank to keep a Nem from wandering but there is really no guessing what will be perfect conditions to it.

When I first got my RBTA it started to move and I put a few rocks in the way to help block his path. He was getting good light so I knew that wasn't the issue. Well, I think the added rocks gave him the security he must have wanted because if he really wanted to move, he could have.He has been there in that exact location for 3 years. Hmm, I should probably get a lottery ticket lol.The only time he tried to move was when I divided him myself but when I did, I watched them for a couple hours and as soon as one of them started to move, I did the exact same thing and it worked. Well I eventually sold one of them but mine is huge again and I have a buyer so I'm going to sharpen my knife real soon.LOL. I will probably go through the same thing again but that's OK. I wonder if the sting of a RBTA isn't as potent as some others because a while back, a crab knocked my torch coral right into my rose and when I woke up in the morning it was laying right on it and nothing happened. I've also dropped a monti cap frag on it and all was well also.

Well in the past 2 hrs this BTA has managed to squeeze through the live rock and is now headed back up the back side of the LR... good thing, there are no corals on the back side :) Hopefully he will make his way to the top and find a suitable spot.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15475380#post15475380 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kohlton
Well in the past 2 hrs this BTA has managed to squeeze through the live rock and is now headed back up the back side of the LR... good thing, there are no corals on the back side :) Hopefully he will make his way to the top and find a suitable spot.

Damm Rookies......Hehehehehe.....:dance:

What you need to do is put a lock on the door & forget about it. Go get a Beer.

No mater what you do..." turn the lights off to make him settle " WONT work. As soon as you turn them back on.....he may move.

Just leave him be. He will be fine...plus theres nothing you can do. You may also experience this over time. For what ever reason, 6 months from now or even a year from now, things may change in the tank. Your BTA may not like it & decide to move again......Be prepared

BTA's are individuals and each one is different. I bought 2 at the same time. I placed them both in high light / moderate flow as they were when I bought them. One hasn't moved in 2 weeks the other one moved the first day. The thought that you can't get them to stay where you want is not entirely true. They will stay where you want *if* they are happy there. My Haddoni carpet stayed where I put it too. Its been in the same spot for 2 years. BTW that BTA looks really bleached I hope it does well for you but I don't think the colour is going to be what you thought you were buying..

Back