Burnt Maxspect Razor R420r LEDs. Where should I go from here?

desx2501

30mins ago, walking home from work I saw that my aquarium lighting strip (Maxspect Razor R420r) was very dim. I looked and the blue channel doesn't work at all. On 2 of the 3 clusters of LED, one of the LED cover is completely melted (same spot on both.)

Is this something to be expected? I mean should a fixture last only about 5 years? I looked up online, and I can't find parts for it since it seems it has been discontinued since.

In that tank, the only things that require lighting are toadstools and anemones.

My questions are:
- How fast do I need to take action? Is a week too long?
- What could I have done to prevent that, if anything? (there is a glass cover on the tank between the water and the LEDs, and they are about 20cm from the top of the glass cover, without anything preventing air circulation.)
- Since I can't repair them, what should I get next? The tank is 36L, 18W and 24D, so what are good alternatives that aren't too expensive? (If it matters, I'm in Canada)

Thanks,
Xavier

- If you dont have any other light, you should act fast. They will start to deteriorate in ~5 days or so.

- Probably nothing. Maybe cleaning the heat sinks and fans might helped.

- This is subjective, what I consider expensive might not be expensive for you, or vice versa. It would be better if you give us a price range.

Well, I bought that fixture initially for around 500-550 CAD iirc, but I was wondering if the same quality of light would be cheaper now that's it's even more common than when I bought it. The replacement model of the same brand is about 700.

I use reefbreeders photon V2 with T5HO supplementation. But for more input, you should open a separate thread in "equipment, lights,..." section of the forum.

Back