Butterflyfish mortality: difference between single individuals and couples

darwinbandit

About sudden mortality of Butterflyfish after living an apparent healthy life and no sign of illness. Is mortality more frequent among singles vs. couples/small schools?

My actual experience is on juvenile racoon and vagabund.

Thank you if you can feed us in.

Last edited:
Despite many years in the hobby, I don't have a ton of experience with Butterflyfish. I've only had the occasional single Racoon or Copperband over the years and so can't really compare singles to pairs.

That said, @Dr. Reef @HumbleFish @leebca might have some insight.

I have no data and don't know of any. However, I've kept single Butterflyfish for decades in my tanks. It's a matter of proper feeding, a proper community, and an appropriately sized and landscaped aquarium (IMO). I've had the Copperband Butterflyfish reach the size of a dinner plate. Our marine fish will continue to grow through out their lives.

Download then read, the Fish Nutrition document.

Thank you for the input.
I understand everything is possible if conditions are right.
Same species company does not seem to be a cardinal component of wellbeing.
We are now observing Racoon and Vagabund, 2 juvenile individuals each.

All experiences are welcomed.

I have no data and don't know of any. However, I've kept single Butterflyfish for decades in my tanks. It's a matter of proper feeding, a proper community, and an appropriately sized and landscaped aquarium (IMO). I've had the Copperband Butterflyfish reach the size of a dinner plate. Our marine fish will continue to grow through out their lives.

Download then read, the Fish Nutrition document.
What is your best guess on longevity, starting with the Copperhead?

Back