SPS Care and nutrient management help and advice?

I'm messing around with my lighting schedule (this tank only up for 3 months). I'm curious to see what thoughts and suggestions you get...

Yeah, but they are not very attractive, when compared to freshwater fish, also they swim like guppies, erratically.

First, Apogee is sensor manufacturer, i recognize they have issues with blue part of spectrum, though the main tank has a reef bright xho actinic strip as well as the t5's. Even if the sensor is reading too low, it would have to be on the order of 200% too low before any sort of photoinhibition would typically result.

Second, I have read a lot of sentiment similar to yours that with my symptoms lower light is the solution, it just seems if i go any lower they will starve entirely....

Sorry, my post did a poor job of communicating what i meant it to. I am not implying only that your par meter is probably reading too low. The main point is that 150 per from leds not the same as 150 par from T5s. So saying its under less par from xr15 does not necessarily mean anything.

Also keep in mind that photoinhibition is not a single data point, but very reliant on other reef conditions (ie. Available nutrients).

The margin for error is quite large when you take in all the factors. If it wasnt, reefing would be easy :)

I'm not making any steadfast recommendations, just giving some food for thought.

I understand your concern about starving them, i held the same concerns when encountering this issue.

Last edited:
Sorry, my post did a poor job of communicating what i meant it to. I am not implying only that your par meter is probably reading too low. The main point is that 150 per from leds not the same as 150 par from T5s. So saying its under less par from xr15 does not necessarily mean anything.

Also keep in mind that photoinhibition is not a single data point, but very reliant on other reef conditions (ie. Available nutrients).

The margin for error is quite large when you take in all the factors. If it wasnt, reefing would be easy :)

I'm not making any steadfast recommendations, just giving some food for thought.

I understand your concern about starving them, i held the same concerns when encountering this issue.

Thanks for the clarification. I know it is not a perfect science, but one would figure, for comparison sake at least, that the reading on the LEDs would be relevant considering the water conditions are similar.

I think what I will do is lower the max intensity to 60% (which seems to be in the range most people use) and maybe shorten up the time the intensity is highest. Now, however, I am second guessing my display's lighting schedule (which hasn't changed for years, but has created washed out colors).

Does anyone know of a successful reef tank run with radion pro g4's that post their lighting schedule? Yes, I just want to copy it.

I'm struggling with dosing and losing SPS, but I guarantee Mexican Turbo snails in proper number will keep your rocks algae free. They primarily graze at night.

Yea only snail or clean up crew I use really besides fish. They slaughter turf algae which is nice too. Make sure to buy smaller ones and one big one. The big one will do the work and the rest will live a lot longer. Plus too many big ones and reef putty will be your weekend task.

I have never had luck with turbos. It is my understanding they hail from colder waters so have trouble with long term survival in reef tanks.

I don't need my snails to breed, but at least live a normal life span.

FWIW I am using cerith snails and banded trochus snails exclusively now, hermits and crabs are too opportunity scavangers.

I have never had luck with turbos. It is my understanding they hail from colder waters so have trouble with long term survival in reef tanks.

I don't need my snails to breed, but at least live a normal life span.

FWIW I am using cerith snails and banded trochus snails exclusively now, hermits and crabs are too opportunity scavangers.

I've got Turbo snails that are 3" round going on 10 years;) They come out at night and keep the rock very clean.

Back