Buying a new R.O. Unit, which one should i chose?

purpletanglvr

I am getting ready to buy a new reverse osmosis unit. my last one was a kent marine hi-s unit. it was destroyed during our move a while back. Anyway, ive been looking at Pure -flows with the pump to help water pressure or just buying another kent. Any reason to pick one over the other??? thanks

Hmmm, Kent marine is pretty good IMO. It depends on your water in your area, you may not even need the hi-s unit. If you keep up the maintenence for your RO unit such as flushing it once in a while with the flush kit, the membrane usually last you almost forever. Well, not quite, maybe 4-5 years. I bought a barracuda RO/DI 75gpd not long ago but loving it ever since. They are pretty much the same as the kent maxxima, but the water in my area has almost none to very little silicate, so for me, it doesn't matter about the hi-s.

I love the typhoon III from www.airwaterice.com . Great customer service. Answered a ton of questions before I bought it. Came with all the bells and whistles. 0 tds for 8 months and 3 tds 1 year later. Still keeping my 125g algae free. This reminds me I should order my prefilters and DI refill. Have not changed them yet but I am due. Let me know if you have any questions on all the bells and whistles cuz its got a lot.

GEt one of the ones on Ebay from FilterDirect. Works fine and is much less expensive. Been running mine for almost 2 years now and it does everything the others do and customer service is great as well.

I agree with FilterDirect. Why pay $300.00 + when you can get one that does the same thing for around $100 bucks.

I've got the Typhoon III as well and will heartily recommend it. Still making 0 TDS water on original DI and filters after 6 monthes. My tap water is in the 230 TDS range. Definately comes with all the bells and whistles...saddle valves for supply/drain, tubing, extra JG valve for output, RO only output, filter wrench, TDS meter, full size color-change DI cartridge, pressure gauge, all JG fittings, etc.

I'm not sure about the eBay units, but I would be hesitant about buying any unit that doesn't have a full size DI cartridge. Alot of cheaper units use the smaller cartridges that mount in the smaller container and don't have the color-change DI resin.

thanks guys. i will definitely check that out. our water is good quality here. where i lived before the water was very hard and full of minerals. i dont have that problem here, but i want to play it safe and not have an algae problem..

www.airwaterice.com typhoon III comes with a free TDS meter. So you can check how bad your tap water really is. I also use it to check my water after the R/O and before the DI to check how my prefilters and membrain are. And also check the output after the DI to make sure the DI doesnt need refilling. All the filter houseings are clear and it has color changing DI resin. So you can also see when it need changing too. Strongly built unit i would recommend over the ebay ones unless price is the only thing you concerned about. You can get the 100gpd or 75 gpd. Same price. The 75gpd has a cleaner water output. That one is reccomened.

Just got typhoon III, love it!
excellent cust. service too!
worth $200.00
as mentioned, comes with TDS meter and has a pressure gauge.

The typhoon gets high praise. Do you know what's in your water? If you want the best it's probably Spectrapure, but they're spendy.

I just don't understand why people insist on paying more money for these RO units when the FilterDirect units yield 0 TDS at 100 gpd. Has a full size RO cartridge, color changing resin, auto shut off, etc, it only costs $100. Throw another $25 at it to add a TDS meter and easy flush bypass.... WHy, oh why...

Filter Direct uses a 100 GPD 90 % rejection rate nano filter not a 75 GPD 98% rejection rate true RO membrane. This shortens the life of your DI resin by a factor of 4 or 5. They also use little 6 oz hollow tubes and call them DI filters. So its not just a TDS meter to bring it up to the level of other units.
New true RO membrane $45
TDS meter $25
True vertical canister and 10" refillable DI cartridge 24 oz capacity $ 45
Pressure gauge $10

You now have much more money in the Filter Direct than you would have spent the first time on a better unit to begin with.
I will say it yet another time " You get what you pay for when buying RO/DI units". What appears to be the same is not always the case and if it looks too good to be true it probably is. All units are not created equal.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6478945#post6478945 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
Filter Direct uses a 100 GPD 90 % rejection rate nano filter not a 75 GPD 98% rejection rate true RO membrane. This shortens the life of your DI resin by a factor of 4 or 5. They also use little 6 oz hollow tubes and call them DI filters. So its not just a TDS meter to bring it up to the level of other units.
New true RO membrane $45
TDS meter $25
True vertical canister and 10" refillable DI cartridge 24 oz capacity $ 45
Pressure gauge $10

You now have much more money in the Filter Direct than you would have spent the first time on a better unit to begin with.
I will say it yet another time " You get what you pay for when buying RO/DI units". What appears to be the same is not always the case and if it looks too good to be true it probably is. All units are not created equal.

The rejection rate argument is a wash... you're talking an 8% delta. IF we were making water for a nuclear powerplant or something, then fine... but it's a fish tank. As long as I wind up with 0 TDS, then I am happy and my tank is happy. I've been running mine for almost a year and a half and only had to change resin once and I don't think it really matters whether the cartridge is vertical or horizontal, as long as you get a good flow through it. The DI tube size is EXACTLY the same as all the other DI tunbes being mentioned (at least that I have looked at), so the increased useage argument doesn't wash either. SO the TDS meter is about $25 and I don't really see how you think a pressure gauge is necessary. So like I said, about $125 into the thing and it is perfect for keeping your tank happy, which is really the bottom line. All the other stuff you mentioned is just buying things which your fish and corals could really care less about.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6479388#post6479388 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lbrty9
The rejection rate argument is a wash... you're talking an 8% delta. IF we were making water for a nuclear powerplant or something, then fine... but it's a fish tank. As long as I wind up with 0 TDS, then I am happy and my tank is happy. I've been running mine for almost a year and a half and only had to change resin once and I don't think it really matters whether the cartridge is vertical or horizontal, as long as you get a good flow through it. The DI tube size is EXACTLY the same as all the other DI tunbes being mentioned (at least that I have looked at), so the increased useage argument doesn't wash either. SO the TDS meter is about $25 and I don't really see how you think a pressure gauge is necessary. So like I said, about $125 into the thing and it is perfect for keeping your tank happy, which is really the bottom line. All the other stuff you mentioned is just buying things which your fish and corals could really care less about.

Yes, i have one off ebay.... and they work off the same stuff...with the same tech. as all the others. Its like saying, that a DIY sump or skimmer is not going to be effective.

Back