Buying aquarium local

MGP

I want to upgrade my aquarium to the 150 gallon range. Pretty close to buying the SC aquariums 150 g synergy, but was wondering if anyone knew any store local in the area that might have a better or similar deal for an aquarium in this range.

You won't find a better deal if that's what you are looking for, but you can get a little better quality if you go with a planet aquarium tank. If you want the ultimate money no object then look at Reef Savvy. They are local now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My opinion that may be applicable to you.

I was initially shopping for a 120 which is 48 x 24 as you know.

I knew SCA built some really nice aquariums for a good value. Not saying the absolute best but let's be honest they are a great value and delivered to your front door at a fraction of the cost of other vendors with pretty nice glass.

I knew Steve from previous orders so I called him up in California.

I told him my intentions and he said he randomly had a rimless 15 mm Starphire Glass 150 with a Synergy Style Overflow on custom build and the customer cancelled. These take about 8 weeks to make due to back log. But he could ship it out today. Since he was stuck with it now I will give you a good price. You do not see these on the website. You only see the thinner glass and euro braced versions without Synergy OverFlow. But I could be wrong, he might of added them back up.

So I gave him my credit card impulsively and now I was a 150 Rimless owner as you see in my build thread. It sat in my garage for 6 months and gradually I started building on it.

My point is to call around and check out the vendor scene. I know a few people who go to the local shows in Florida and buy the tanks on the floor at a nice discount so the vendors do not have to drag them back to their stores. Win win situation. Just be patient and you will get a good deal. Or who knows you will find good condition larger tanks.

I remember I sold my 300DD Starphire Front with stand, 48 x 24 80 gallon sump and SRO 5000 INT with 2 neck extenders for like $550 total. Just wanted that behemoth out of my life at the time.

But for a good value on new tanks built well and the convenience to front door delivery. I would absolutely encourage SCA Aquariums. Maybe give Steve a call and see what he has on hand. He might have something special for you, who knows.

Good luck with your search. The 150 is a good size at 60 x 24. Not too small and not too large. It is a spacious tradional 120 if that makes sense. The extra 6 inches on either side is nice.

You can still get away using MP40's and with the way the additional coverage spread of LED fixtures you might be able to get away with 2 Ecotech GEN 5's mounted higher up and at 100% intensity or go old school and throw on an ATI like a majority of the local "SCA 150 Club" has done.

Maybe build your own stand. Yes it takes longer in the build process but I personally enjoy a taller stand so I am not bending down looking at things. Easier on my back as I get older and a personal preference. Also I plan to live in my house forever.

I am looking out for the older grouchier version of BobbyV a decade or so from now.

Last edited:
+1 on the planet aquariums, just picked up a used one and great build quality, nice thick glass, polished edges, nice clean silicon work

Back