Buying premixed salt water from lfs

Goubli

So I'm getting very close to filling the tank finally. I am really considering having one of the stores (aqua touch most likely) do the initial filling.

My setup at my house will make it a painful multi day process as I can really only make about 50g of saltwater at a time. It's mostly for convenience and not dealing w doing it all myself.

My main question is this:

Do you trust their saltwater, or any other store's? Has anyone had a store help with initial filling/setup?

I plan on making my own for changes etc.

Thanks!:beer:

How many gallons are you talking?

I know there are a couple places that will deliver, but I think you have to be like 250 gallons minimum...

I have used water from Discount Aquarium, and Aquatouch, but that was back when I was running a 55 gallon. I now have a 90 GPD Spectrapure RODI and keep a 55 gallon barrel of RODI and Saltwater ready at all times.

Do you already make your own water? I'd say this is a good way to start practicing patience. It's one of the keys to successfully keeping a reef tank.

Customer had issues with Aquatouches Rodi water last year. TDS was off the charts! Not sure about their saltwater, plus I'm sure it's fix by now...

If you want I have saltwater from my system you can have, just need to figure out how your going to transport it. Approx 100gal available, more if you give me a week notice. Some people don't like using old water from existing tanks to cycle, but I do it all the time with all our new installations. Just let me know.

I've been in the hobby 20 yrs. it is more of a time and space issue and for convenience as I stated. It has more to do with having limited time off from work and the hassle of spending days trying to make 160-170 gallons of water when my unit makes about 30-40 a day. I can only store around 50. Where I make water I have to transport it over carpet a long distance, so I'll have to pump it into 5 g containers.

At my age I don't want to deal with the initial fill hassle and was just curious if the local stores had trustworthy water.

still wouldn't use AT water, go down to Chris or someone running Aquavitro or something decent for their saltwater.

Personally if your RODI system is at least a 90gpd you should be able to make all your water over a few days and mix with whatever you want(and you want fritz ;))

It won't let me edit my post.

My issue is that I can really only get 40 gallons a day and in reality can only do a batch of about 25 g at a time due to my storage containers. I want to put my rocks in the tank prior to my sand and I don't want to leave them dry after I've had them curing in the garage. I cannot get enough water on hand with my current set up to cover the rocks the same day I place them in the tank.

The day I stopped using LFS premixed SW, I had better control of hair algae and never looked back!!!

You have to ask yourself if they really make the effort to change the filters or DI in their setups or do they even use DI media? You will be amazed when you ask to see their filter system and see no DI!!!! Or my favorite is when you last changed the filters and no record to be seen to justify his comment..

I say mix your own!!

Lfs

Lfs

Saltwater Junkies has decent premixed. That said, never as good as mixing your own when circumstances permit.

Back