by any chance is anyone selling a catalina goby?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6922586#post6922586 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Badmort
No you don't

While that quote may me true, here is a little more info.

The Catalina Goby is a COLD water species. They will survive for a very short couple months over 70 degrees. They are best kept in the low 60 or high 50 range. Unless you have a super cold tank, a Catalina goby will not lat you until summer.

I dont believe he asked anyone to tell him about the fish. :rolleyes: For all you guys know he could have a 1000 gallon cold water tank that would be a killer home for the fish.

Personally none unless you count the lobster tanks at the grocery stores. There is one on RC that is super nice.
The bottom line is that its not hard to have a big chiller on a small tank.

I was just trying to help a guy...

I was looking for a Catalina Goby for my Sea Horse tank which is at 72. Califo and Fenner both told me not to... So I was just passing along a little learned info.

Thanks Wardaddy, good info for those who don't know. I've seen pics of tanks with them in there and I don't think that is fair for the fish.

Don't bother to argue with those kind of people.

I have seen a "catalina" goby before at Pacific Reef in Fountain Valley. I believe it was a similar looking species fish from Mexico which can handle the warmer temperatures. I was told that by the gentleman there.

There is a goby that looks almost exactly like it I forgot what its called though and it does live in warmer water climates.

I dont believe he asked anyone to tell him about the fish. For all you guys know he could have a 1000 gallon cold water tank that would be a killer home for the fish.

Isnt this board to educate each other on the hobby? If we just handed over fish not only would they end up dead from lack of caretaking knowledge but we would be no better than a pet store with only the bottom line on our heads, screw it if the fish die. I dunno about you but if I wanted a catalina goby for my reef tank which is set at 78 and some one told me he would die after a month, but there was a similar goby that looks almost exactly alike and lives in warmer water I would be very greatful for that knowledge. I dont mean to ruffle feathers but a little info never hurt anybody.

He could have had a 1000 gal cold water tank but he never stated he did. All the guys were doing is looking out for the best interest of a critter.

There is a variant from the sea of Cortez, however, the fish we see locally are normally locally harvested, from what I understand.

Go search wetweb media, they have great info on the catalina goby. From what they are saying, it stands very little chance if the normal temp is in the 70's, regardless of where it is caught

The Tropical Marine Centre is doing work to breed Catalina gobies. They are the company in England that breeds and provides the majority of black ocellaris clowns available via Quality Marine USA in Los Angeles. And yes they do range to the warmer waters of Baja California, but generally prefer cooler temperatures.

Did anybody help this guy out yet? I have seen some at Pacific Reef (a while ago..) and also they are in stock on liveaquaria. The ones from liveaquaria say they are from Mexico not USA.

There was a time a few months ago where the wholesalers in LA had bunches of them... all the LFS in my area had them, now no one has seen them.

I finally gave up and got a diamond goby, coolest little fish.

The other really cool goby that may be an alternative to catalina is the trimma goby, which is an awesome little fish if you can find one.

btw, I already know CG need to be in cold water. My house is very cool, even in the summer time w/o a heater my tank is low 70's. I bought a small 10 gallon and was going to have a CG in there by itself with some LS and LR and maybe some zoos.

Wish my house was cool year round. During the summer my tank temperature can and has reached up in the high 90s to 100. Thank goodness that was when I started out with softies.

There might be one at the Aquatic Village in Ventura, CA. Not sure if its still there but they had it listed on the glass on their tanks. I dont know their number... www.yellowpages.com :D

Catalina gobies were one of the first fish bred in captivity and are quite easy to breed and raise. TM has bred them before but I don't think they are doing so now, since the market it so slight for temperate tanks.

CG are a cool water fish they can survive in temps in the 70's but they will not have as long a life span as they would if the water was in the low 60's we had CG in our tanks at school for research along with other local species and we kept the temps in the low 60's- high 50's. Below 10' our local waters are 60-50 degrees year round even when the surface temps get into the 70's below 10' the temps are consistant year round.

Back