Cade Classic Reef S-2 1200 build

CasperOe

Hi Reefers!

I am just about to pull the trigger on my new aquarium within a couple of weeks. This will be a significant upgrade from my old and scratched 2nd hand Red Sea Reefer 170 that i have now.

I am aiming for a well (..heavy!) stocked ultra-low nutrient (using ZEOvit) mixed reef; predominantly LPS though as the missus likes the movement that it gives; I will however have some SPS corals in the upper part.

I will off course be doing a proper build tread once i get going but before i go ahead, I am looking for any final comments or advice on below equipment:

Let me know what you think :grinning-face-with-big-eyes:

Aquarium:
- Cade Classic Reef S-2 1200 (512 L / 135 gal)

Flow:
- Royal Exclusive Red Dragon 3 100W
- Stock Cade manifold with three gate-valved outlets supplied by the return pump(s)
- 2 x Red Sea ReefWave 45 gyre pumps

Filtration:
- Clarissa SK-3000 Gen 3 Filter Roller
- Integrated refugium for growing macro algae (chaeto)
- Refugium is fed by the overflow from the filter sock chamber
- Refugium overflow drains in to the skimmer chamber
- Reef Octopus Regal 150-S protein skimmer
- AquaMaxx JZR-2 ZEOvit reactor
- 2 x Aquaforrest AF-90 fluidized reactors (Carbon + Spare) supplied by the manifold
- Evolution Aqua evo25S UV steriliser supplied by the manifold
- 6 KG Maxspect Nano-Tech Bio-Spheres

Chemistry:
2 x Red Sea ReefDose 4 (Cal, Alk, Mag & var. KZ)

Lighting:
- 2 x Ecotech Radion XR30 Gen 6 (blue)
- Kessil H160 (Tuna Flora) Refugium light

Heating:
- D&D 650w titanium heater (controlled by Apex)

Controller:
- Neptune Apex A3 Pro (UK edition)
- Standard Apex probes in skimmer chamber
- 2 x Energy Bar 832
- 2 x Neptune FMM units
- Monitor flow on return pipe
- Monitor flow on each media reactor
- Monitor flow on UV steriliser
- Leak detection in sump cabinet
- Leak detection outside cabinet
- Neptune AFS
- Control of Kessil refugium light
- Control of Reef Octopus return/skimmer pumps
- Module for controlling the Radions once released

Last edited:
Looks pretty well thought out. I don’t run half that equipment, so I can’t help too much. But I’m not seeing anything that would jump out

Looks pretty well thought out. I don’t run half that equipment, so I can’t help too much. But I’m not seeing anything that would jump out
Thank you for your feedback, I am thrilled finally getting started on this project! :)
I come up with changes to equipment every day these days, so better get it all ordered soon so i cant keep changing my mind!

Thank you for your feedback, I am thrilled finally getting started on this project! :)
I come up with changes to equipment every day these days, so better get it all ordered soon so i cant keep changing my mind!
Lol even once it’s ordered youll change it in a couple months and start the infamous shelf or box of equipment everyone has. My only suggestion is to go as big as possible in equipment that fits your system that way you have some wiggle room for and even bigger upgrade later on

On your heating always have some type of backup to make sure they go off. I use heaters that have thermostats that I set 3 degrees above the controller temp. I have seen others use a heater controller and back it up with the controller. Heaters remaining on and overheating a tank is a big cause of tank crashes. I also have each heater on a separate outlet on the controller. Each has the power monitored and if it is out of range I will get an alert.

On your heating always have some type of backup to make sure they go off. I use heaters that have thermostats that I set 3 degrees above the controller temp. I have seen others use a heater controller and back it up with the controller. Heaters remaining on and overheating a tank is a big cause of tank crashes. I also have each heater on a separate outlet on the controller. Each has the power monitored and if it is out of range I will get an alert.
Thank you! :) One of the heaters will go on the Apex- and the other one on a heater controller

Thank you! :) One of the heaters will go on the Apex- and the other one on a heater controller
You may still want to plug the heater controller into one of your Apex outlets and set the Apex about 3 degrees higher. If the heater controller stays on for some reason then the Apex will shut it off as a fail safe.

700 Watts of heating for a 135 gallon tank that will not hold 135 gallons????
500 watts held my 250 @77degrees or more if needed.
Thank you for your input!

It's a relatively warm room already, I have a 50w heater on my current 45 gallon tank so I reckon it will be all right! :) If it won't- then I will have to upgrade eventually..

Back