cadlights artisan differences

powdertang05

I am so confused. What is the difference between Artisan I and II just the tank and stand. I have everything else.

I states it has 2 drains
II states its 3 drains is that the difference? doesnt mention a return tho.

Last edited:
One just includes more equipment as far as I can tell..
Seems the information about the holes/drains is just inconsistency in how its been written.. I believe they are both the same 2 holes for herbie/durso and a hole for the return..

Artisan 1 is tank only. I have one and I don't recommend this company. The black covering on the back was not installed correctly and the company refuses to do anything about it. Unfortunately it is not apparent until the tank is set up and filled with water. Their customer service is horrible. Lots of other choices.

I states it has 2 drains
II states its 3 drains is that the difference? doesnt mention a return tho.

I'm gonna guess that by drains, actually they mean holes drilled. The Artisan I having 2 holes, where one is for a Durso standpipe and the other for the return, whereas the Artisan II with 3 holes has 2 dedicated for a Herbie drain and one for the return.

Either way, based on a multitude of reviews and complaints, Cadlights customer service seems to be sketchy at best.

The Artisan 1 has three holes, this is another drawback to these tanks. the holes are metric and basically 1", 3/4" and 1/2 which are not very good sizes for even a Herbie system. I ended up using the 3/4 for a return and the 1" for a primary drain and the 1/2" for an emergency. Not the best setup. Also the holes are too close together to enlarge them. If I had to do it over I would build my own tank again with a coast to coast and a Bean Animal drain system like I have had in the past. Could also purchase a tank and drill it or have it drilled.

I take it you are buying a used tank. if so, then customer service issue is irrelevant.
better if you can get the 3 hole version. although the 3 hole version has 2 1/2" and 1 1" hole I believe (based on a tank journal thread I follow). You can still get good flow (like 500gph) using the 1/2" as main drain if it goes straight down with no elbows, and cut like 8" from the top. I got a used 2 hole version and tested using the 1/2" hole as main drain.

If you are replacing the bulkhead, there are 2 types of 1/2" bulkheads. one that requires 1 1/8" hole and another that requires 1.25". get the type that use 1 1/8" hole. The 1" bulkhead is the standard 1.75" hole.

The Artisan 1 is a 3 hole version and the holes are 1/2, 3/4 and 1". I used the included bulkheads and modified them for standard pipe sizes.

Back