Calcium 650

kkdoughboy

Hi there, my calcium level is always very high 550-650 ppm. Is this ok? My PH is always a constant 8.1-8.4 and alk is around 9. Will a high calcium level negatively affect anything? Also, I just bought a KNOP HD calcium reactor. Haven't hooked it up yet. Should I even bother using it? Thanks for you opinions, Chris

NexDog

Snail Killer
Premium Member
How do you keep Ca and Alk so high? Sell your secret and makes millions. :)

Ricardo_Jorge

I think 550-650Ca ppm is not so good!
The ideal is something like nature about Ca 420 and Alk 8 dKh.

If i were you, i´d try to bring them to this range and keep it.

Hug

Carlos Arouche

Usually this level of calcium means:

1-You are doing incorrect measures
2-Your system is unbalanced

As you have 6 years experience I´ll discharge the first option (altough I recommend you to buy another test to double check)

If you have unbalanced water and parameters, i recomend lots of water changes...

(anyway it will not solve the issue,, but will minimize the consequences)

the risk here is to broke the Calcium in the system and destroy impellers and corals...

lostintheocean

check your salt brand. My levels were always high as well. i changed salts and it went down to the 460 range as it should be. When it is too high for too long it can prevent calsification.

kkdoughboy

I thank everyone for all there comments. I did some parameter testing this afternoon. Numbers:
ph- 8.4
dkh- 8
cal- 580
Sal- 1.026
those are the numbers. I use Reef Crystals Salt ever since I set the tank up about 3 years ago. I was using a Red Sea Calcium test kit and always had high readings. I bought a Sera professional saltwater test kit about 3 weeks ago and the readings are pretty much the same...High Calcium! I'll be honest I've had a heck of a time keeping LPS corals healthy and thriving in my tank. They usually have a very slowwww demise. You guys think it cause of a high calcium level over the years? Keep the ideas flowing! Thanks Again, Chris

Ricardo_Jorge

I used to use Red Sea test kit and it always had high readings. Now i'm using LaMotte and it seems to have a best accuracy.

High levels of calcium can causes precipitation, however, I don't know exactly what can happen with the animals.

By the way, you have an unbalance in your system, with 8dkh Alk, your Cal should be around 420ppm, and not 580ppm.

Hug

kkdoughboy

Well if my system is out of balance and this is a problem...How do I lower my Calcium level? I don't add any additional supplements?

Ricardo_Jorge

To low your Calcium levels, do water changes. It's the best way.
Be sure that you are using a good brand of salt.

Hug

jwoyshnar

Also check your hydrometer. I thought mine was @ .025 and it was closer to .030. I also found that Kent salt is pretty high in calcium. My calcium went through the roof when i tried this brand. I went back to red sea and all is returning to normal.

kkdoughboy

I ditched my hydrometer for a refractometer years ago. If I do water changes it's gonna lower my salinity too much unless I use salt. So basically what your saying is to ditch my Reef Crystals brand of salt and try something else to see if it has less calcium? Ugh I'll do it but damn this hobby is getting expensive ;)

pledosophy

Since your dKH and pH are fine I would not worry about it myself. 580 is not that high to cause concern. There are parts of the world where they run there tanks at 550ppm as a matter of course. This is very popular in Italy.

Not all hobbyists choose to replicate the ocean's conditions, some believe it is possible to make an ideal environment for there corals. Based on the pictures of there systems, I think they might be on to something.

If you do choose to lower it, just stop supplementing your Ca until it is in desired range. Your corals will consume it in time. Do watch your alk and pH though.

HTH

kkdoughboy

Thanks for the comments. I don't dose anything to increase calcium. The only source of calcium I add to the tank comes from the IO Reef Crystals. I only ask if this is a problem because of my inability to keep LPS corals healthy and thriving. I have used Red Sea, Marine Labs, and Sera test kits for all parameters. I get different reading for all of them. It's so difficult to actually tell just where things are. As an example I did my Nitrate today and ML-0 ppm, RS-20ppm, and Sera-25ppm. Still learning after all these years. Just wish I could get it right and have some thriving beautiful corals ;)

pledosophy

I might look for a good LFS and pay them for a test.

For test kits I have switched to all Elos. The rest were to inconsistent for me.

The Ca itself should not cause a severe problem with LPS IME. I would look more to low nutrients, to much or to little light, amount of flow (to much is really the problem IME), or the corals eating to little.

IME I can keep LPS in a sump with a normal output bulb with very little flow and alright parameters. I just squirt food on them everyday.

HTH

Flipper62

Premium Member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15467672#post15467672 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kkdoughboy
I ditched my hydrometer for a refractometer years ago. If I do water changes it's gonna lower my salinity too much unless I use salt. So basically what your saying is to ditch my Reef Crystals brand of salt and try something else to see if it has less calcium? Ugh I'll do it but damn this hobby is getting expensive ;)

kkdoughboy,

????? When you do a water change it will lower your salinity unless you use salt ????

When you do a water change, you never replace the tank water with just RO/DI water...... you ALWAYS mix new salt water & match the salinity of the new water to the salinity of the tank.

This is REEF KEEPING 101.

I dont believe your tag on Hobby Experience......that says 6 years experience

Last edited:

pledosophy

I think he is saying his Ca levels come soley from his salt mix and he is not adding supplements.

If this is true, his test kit is off IME as a fellow user of Reef Crystals.

JMO