calcium reactor question

scbasser5

I have had a DIY reactor set up for a couple of months now. Is there a way to increase the calcium output with out increasing the KH.

My output CA level is consistently at 350 - 360 and my Alk at 18.

I have not added any alk buffer since I fired the reactor up but have to keep adding calcium.

I have the PH monitor on the reactor set at 6.9 and am dripping about 40 drops per min into my sump.

The tank levels stays pretty close to the reactor output level.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

your alk is way too high....you should try to keep it a dkh of 11 or so. Your best bet is to use you calcium reactor to keep you alk stable and then supplement your calcium level with kalkwasser or turbo calcium.

I would turn off the reactor and supplement only calcium until the alkalinity was at most 11 dKH. Trying to keep calcium in the 400-450ppm range is a fine idea, IMO, although the high alkalinity might be making that difficult for a bit.

When the alkalinity is reasonable, I would try restarting the Ca reactor, and make sure that alkalinity never went beyond 11 dKH or so.

What is the pH in the tank?

That pH sounds fine. I think you just need to shut off the reactor for a bit and get both alkalinity and calcium back to good levels.

Is there a way to increase the calcium output with out increasing the KH.

No. Such a system adds about 1 meq/L (2.8 dKH) for every 20 ppm of calcium, not matter how you use it. Calcium chloride is the thing to use to boost calcium, then use the reactor with a slower CO2 addition rate.

Can calcium chloride be added to the CA reactor, thus eliminating a second dosing procedure? My Alk stayed pretty good before the reactor addition. Did I misunderstand that a CA reactor would keep my CA level in the proper range?

I guess as long as my daily usage of CA is less than 20 ppm and my alk variation is less the 2.8 dkh, it will keep things in balance.

Thanks, seems the more i learn the less i know.

No, it will immediately dissolve. This is a one time boost, not something needed every day. Just dissolve it in fresh water (if it isn't already) and add it all at once to a high flow area.

This calculator shows how much to use,and the article guides you through the process:

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Reef Chemicals Calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

I guess as long as my daily usage of CA is less than 20 ppm and my alk variation is less the 2.8 dkh, it will keep things in balance.[?I guess as long as my daily usage of CA is less than 20 ppm and my alk variation is less the 2.8 dkh, it will keep things in balance.

Unless you are doing water changes with a mix that doesn't match the tank, then that ratio is what you want to match the loses, at lest in teh short term, which will also be in that ratio.

Thank you very much. Was just reading the posts on you. Looks to me like you the man to talk to with chemistry questions.

A very impressive education resume.

Back