camera opinions

mskohl

Hi Everyone. I'm trying to decide on a camera. I've done a little research and picture looking here on RC and these are the cameras I've narrowed it down to. Do you have any experience with these or have an opinion that would be helpful in making a decision?

Canon PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Digital Camera
Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-H2 Digital Camera

They range from $300 -$400 depending on the sale.

Also, if you have any links to pics these cameras have taken, I'd love to see them.

Thanks/

I don't know what any of those look like, but just make sure to save yourself the stress and get a camera that you can manually turn the lense to focus on things. Having to press buttons repeatedly to focus on stuff is very old and time consuming.

Get something like this:
DIGITALREBEL_BLACK_1_S.jpg

Not like this:
3q-001.jpg

Many of the non SLR cameras have a manual focus mode. Just check it out before you get one.

FWIW, the second picture is the camera that I have. It has a manual focus mode, but you can't turn the lens for quick response time. Instead, you have to be in manual focus mode, press and hold the [+/-] button, and then press the zoom in or zoom out multiple times in order to finely focus things. You can't just press and hold it to let it do it itself.

If you enjoy photography, I would recommend the step up to a Nikon D70. They rock and open up so many more doors with the ability to switch lenses and control so much more of what you are doing. I think you can get one for $800 or so...

(There's my pitch of the day for my wonderful camera...)

Anyone ever try one of the Pentax SLR's?

I saw them for $640'sh

Looks like a nice one also.

I have a good friend with one. He really likes it....

When I did my research when I first looked into these several years back, I found a number of things that pushed the Nikon past both Canon and Pentax. And now, I really wish I knew what those were. :)

Whatever the case, if one can spend the money, a SLR is always going to be fun, no matter what the exact make and model.

i really like the finepix S9000, there is an ebayer that has them with 2 gig cards, bag, tripod, wideangle lens, and a set of macro filters. For like 600-700 hundred range

verified paypal-er, always protected against all tranactions. Just purchase with buyer credit, and turn around and pay them off.

Well, I decided to get the Sony H2. I've seen some of the pictures it can take and they are amazing. As an accessory, you can get a 'close up lens' for sharper pictures, or the 'tele-angle cnversion lens'. But, I think I'll see what I can do with just the camera first.

It really came down to this one and the Canon S3 - they both have about the same specs, but I kinda like the sony better. And, I found a bargain!

Wal-Mart.com has everyone beat on the price at $335:
http://www.walmart.com/cart.gsp

However, the store itself won't meet their web prices and they want $379. This store never fails to frustrate me! I want the camera for the weekend, so I went to Office Depot and they did the price matching.

I'm charging the batteries now and can't wait to try this puppy out.

If you do get that Sony H2, make sure you do not buy ScanDick memory sticks. It can't read them. I personally would look into the fuji s5200 which is the second camera pictured above. It is newer technology and reviews are a lot better. They are the same price. I personally would jump up a little and get the Fuji FinePix S6000fd It has image stabilization and just a great camera for about $500. I wish it was out when I bought my Fuji. There are a number of people here in COMAS that use the Fuji Fine Pix cameras

Cool stuff! I am anxious to see some pics with your camera, whenever you get it.... POTM, here you come!!!!! :) ;) :D

It's a good thing for you that wal-mart didn't price match the internet for you. I used to own a vacuum and sewing store, and was certified factory warranty tech. for both Hoover and for Singer. The way wal-mart has such good prices for thier higher line items such as the camera you bought, is that they have the factories use cheaper parts inside while still keeping the same model number on the outside. That isn't rumor, it's a fact. They used to sell a hoover vacuum that had the same model # as one i sold, but sold for cheaper then i could even buy them. Being a factory service center, i got them in for repair every day. The machine looked exactly the same as the one i sold except on the inside, instead of ball bearings, it had nylon bushings. It also had several other small things changed on it to lower the cost. I ran into this same situation on every model of sewing machine and vacuum that i seviced from there. NEVER buy large ticket items from wal-mart regardless of the price difference.

Back