Can A Blacklight Stimulate Growth?

If you want a better search function, DONATE/SUBSCRIBE. Paying $20 to have basically all the info you'd ever need on keeping your tank doesn't seem that bad at all IMO. I've easily gotten $20 of info off here without having the search function. If you can't afford to subscribe and search maybe you should find a different hobby.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't see the premium membership under your name!!So why don't you practice what you preach!!!!!!!!!

No wonder theres such a learning curve in this hobby. You yell at the kid for wasting bandwidth like your paying the internet bill for RC, when you arent even a paying member. And to top it off you waste bandwidth with your useless negative comment as opposed to being helpful. Do reefkeeping a favor, pick a new hobby if your gonna give this one a bad name.

Anyways, I agree, the additional uv could negatively impact the corals with significant exposure, but how much would obviously depend on intensity, distance from the source, etc. If you decide to experiment pay close attention to the corals for any signs of distress. Good question, fight the power.

wow, i thought this site was for helping?? If he posts more then one thread about the same topic why does it bother you? Theres a lot of time where i dont get my posts answered because it keeps getting passed by older posts. I say keep posting till you get what u want! and thats right jamokie, fight the power!

Unfortunately, this attitude of many shown in this thread is the new attitude on most all boards today.

The kindness showed by a few is how it should be everywhere.

But sadly, folks try to see who has the largest "E-member" and it goes downhill from there :p

Folks, either discuss the question, or drop it.

That includes folks of both opinions.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9855903#post9855903 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by H2oH2o
So why dont you push your Bifocals back up your face and shutup.
If you wonder why you don't get the answers you want, perhaps your attitude here will explain why.

Please have a check of the UA before posting negatively again.
:(

How are you going to say "folks, either discuss the question, or drop it", then proceed to neither discuss the question nor drop it yourself? You people are amazing.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9859202#post9859202 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MiddletonMark
Folks, either discuss the question, or drop it.

That includes folks of both opinions.

If you wonder why you don't get the answers you want, perhaps your attitude here will explain why.

Please have a check of the UA before posting negatively again.
:(

The only reason i said this, was because im sick of it. Multiple times have i posted something, hoping to get an answer only to find someone on here instead of helping me is Baggering me. So i only said this out of spite.

To try and get this on your topic. The answer is no. It won't help your corals as it is not enough light to do anything. Won't harm them as it is not enough light to do anything.

If you like the look of the blacklight, use it all you want.

If all you have in your tank is fish, a black light won't really hurt them, especially if it's only on for a short time each day. In fact, it makes fish look better. But blacklight is close in wavelengths to ultraviolet radiation, which isn't so good for your fish, so it shouldn't be on all the time

Before this thread gets locked.

Even if a black light does not emit true UV but close to UV I am sure it may do some damage to the corals and or fish if they are exposed directly to it.

Doesn't a UV filter damage living tissues to clear the water? Those are what 15 - 25 watts? I would guess that your 24" black light is what 25 watts, I'm sure that even though it is just close to UV output that it still may damage living tissues whether it is fish or corals.

1. There are many people who want to ask a simple question and not be possessed by the forum like some others. The search function doesn't work most times so the only way to get an answer is to post a question.

2. If people never posted a question that has already been asked, there would be just a couple new threads a week.

3. The self-administered police of this forum are ruining it. 8000 posts doesn't make you an expert. 8000 posts means you spend too much time sitting in front of your computer. Most other SW forums have a poor view of the members of this site, many of them sick of the consistent flaming.

Blacklights emit no real UV wavelengths. Also the wattage is no where near enough to do any kind of damage to the fish or corals. Just think about when people go to get a tan. They sit with high wattage UV bulbs inches from their skin for a long time before they even start to get a tan.

adamhaulena As to your third point. Your right 8000 or 20,000 posts doesn't make you an expert. The same way 20 posts doesn't give any idea of who you are or what you know.
That being said, some reasons I think my opinions can steer you in the right direction.

RC TOTM

Reefland TOTM

MH Comparison

SPS threads to help out the community.

Let's talk about water quality in an SPS tank.

Lets talk about lighting an SPS tank

Let's talk about water movement in an SPS tank

I'm not sure which version of this question had the response but one of them said it make the tank look cloudy. I'd believe that one for sure.

SteveU

I heard that the calcium in the water is a reason for the tank looking cloudy

all in all, dont go with the back light, on ebay they have great deals on cheap moonlight strips for all tank sizes

As an end user how do you measure bandwidth or useage?
Please don't respond in all caps Dragon_slayer and kells i only asked once. LOL

JB NY: beautiful aquarium. I've read your bulb selection posts before.

Just as another point of interest...

The glow-in-the-dark bowling alleys and mini-putt we (or at least I) have frequented have 32W T8 blacklight fluorescent tubes running up and down the ceiling, probably 100s of them. If it was a danger to put them near your fish and corals, imagine what the magnitude of that many lights would do to someone working there. I would say it's pretty safe that they don't do any or much harm.

JB NY's comments are the perfect example of whats needed here. Not only does he stick to the topic, he backs it up with a few links to illustrate his answer. He is a well known expert on lighting here on RC.
Sometimes answers are opinions and other times answers are based on fact. Other times answers are malicious :(

Jeff

Back