Can a sps tank handle temps of 100 degrees??

Thanks everyone......but to be sure, I now really regret telling my father the details of what happened.

there is nobody to blame for this but myself.

I alone know how much of my heart and soul(and cash..lol) was into these tanks.

I should have had someone stop over every day under the circumstances of the the weather, and whoever was stopping over sure as heck should have clearly understood why everything on the tanks and house was set the way it was and to make dam sure it remained that way.

I didnt.

We all know that some of these reefs we keep control enough of our lives as it is. You cant be afraid to leave them. Just dont take anything for granted and CYA on all bases. It isnt really that hard.

I guarantee i will never cook another tank again.

For those who asked.....I use 2 PCI 1/10 chillers-one for each tank. They work perfectly fine assuming the ambient room temp isnt 105 degrees, which i believe it was for the last 24-48 hours we were away. Im not sure having bigger chillers would have mattered under the circumstances.

Where i live the weather outside only gets above 90 a couple weeks out of the year.

May I express my sympathy. The same thing happened to me about two years ago when I went on vacation and my my mother didn't bother to tell me the AC went out and thought it would be okay to wait and tell me when I got back.

It probably got to a 105 degrees because of that severe heat wave that came in. I remember on the news that a huge heat wave came in in the far west. I know Florida got some of it too because I was outside playing a basketball game with my buddies for no less than an hour and I felt like I was going to faint and I am in great shape too.

Last edited:
"I'll never cook a tank again"

I know exactly what you mean, I walked through the door last summer only to smell it. That was enough to know that a year worth of hard work had just come to a stand still. Since then, starting in May and ending in Sept. I watch the temp closer than watching water parameters.

Best of luck man.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10320434#post10320434 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asmodeus
time to hit up oregan reef that guy with the 800 gal reef for some frags

I think Steve has already felt some serious pain of his own this year.

Ive already began restocking. They will grow again.

thanks for the sentiments everyone.

I dont recall the details exactly. The search function doesnt work here for me or I would search. I think it was a equipment failure and water change problem.

I believe he had a total loss or close to it as well. :(

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10320516#post10320516 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flyyyguy
I think Steve has already felt some serious pain of his own this year.

Yah, talk about "DOH!" No way to win that one. In hind site, you could say he shouldn't of used the tap water, but i think i might have done the same thing in his situation. Luckily, i have 3 24-hour groceries near me with RO units.

Oh, page 3 on a non-lounge thread. Heh.

i had some how leftmy fan off today over my little 40. The temps got up to 88 before i got it back on. Back down to the steady 80 i run it at now.

When sps die from heat how long does it take. Its been about 8hrs since the high point and they look alright apart from poyps are not out. Have i been lucky or am i still likely to have losses.

Well here is a little update 2 months post crash

frag forest...but I have a presentable display again. Still working on the BB 90 some before its ready to take any pics of.

full225.jpg

side225-2.jpg

side225.jpg

zoas1.jpg

DSC_4943.jpg

DSC_4944.jpg

DSC_4938.jpg

DSC_5017.jpg

DSC_5016.jpg

rainbowmonti.jpg

Thanks Aquarius. :) Im pleased with it. It was lots of fun restocking.....not counting the financial part :rolleyes:

The sand and rock was fine...this tank I pictured with the sandbed only hit 94......it went through some uglies for a few weeks but was fine.

The tank that hit 100 is a BB tank so it pulled through with even less uglies than the big tank did at 94.

:)

Back