Can ANY coral coexist with a Pakistan Butterflyfish?

monkeysee1

Hi Again everyone!
I have a primarily /quasi FOWLR tank with a Pakistani Butterflyfish. I have tried purchasing small mushroom frags to see if I could get a small mushroom coral garden growing. I did this because there are already some green mushrooms growing on my live rock and the fish doesn't touch them. But I wanted a another different color so I got some small blue mushroom frags. He doesn't touch my cleaner shrimps, Emeralds and Hermits, snails or my sea urchins either. In fact, the shrimp make it a point to stop him as he swims by to groom him!
So I was disappointed (but NOT surprised) when he started nipping at the new frags. Is there ANY other coral I can try that Butterfly fish DON'T like?? I DON'T want to re-home him because he's otherwise a very good fish. But I WOULD like to dress up the live rock a bit with a few corals here and there. Did some research on line and got conflicting information on compatibility with Soft, LPS and Hard corals. I've read these fish are attracted to zoanthids of SOME colors but NOT others. But I've read the Pakistani Butterfly stays away from Bubble Corals.
Would appreciate suggestions on how I can dress up my tank a little bit around this fish.
Or if there's now way I can do this that's okay too. I DON'T want to dump boatloads of money into this "pilot experiment" if it's not going to succeed.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Thank you, kharmaguru.
I feed my fish lightly twice a day, feedings spaced out about twelve hours apart (morning and evening).
As an experiment I got two small zoanthid frags and a montipora.
To my surprise he initially nipped at them a few times but now has lost practically all interest in them. He now almost completely ignores them!
He devours frozen food I feed the fish like crazy though!
But now I have another issue - my three emerald crabs won't leave the zoanthid frags alone!
The little beggars ripped some polyps off one frag with their pinchers. I couldn't believe it. I feed them twice a week with nori, so I don't know why this is happening. I thought emeralds were for the most part reef safe!
I don't want to get rid of the little son of a guns because they're cute, and I guess nature does what it does now matter how you try or cautious you are as you convert to a reef. I can't put them in my sump because I don't have a light for a refugium to grow algae, and besides, I enjoy seeing them in the display.
A real bummer. Guess I'll stay with FOWLR. :(
Thanks for your reply!

Back