Can Anyone ID These Snails?

narms72

I'm not sure what they are, are they some kind of turbo snails? Anyone have any idea?

Attachments

• IMAG0332.jpg
    IMAG0332.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 0
Not sure what they are, but I would be leery of putting them in my tank.
They definitely are not typical turbo or astrea snails.

Luidia clathrata - slender armed starfish
Predatory and not reef friendly.
Generally most of what you pull out of the bay is not going to do well in a reef tank. But if you setup a biotope tank then it can work a lot better.

The snails really do look like zebra turbos, but I'm always a little scared to stock my tank with inverts that I collected myself. Some of them are so similar and hard to ID that I'd rather just buy from the LFS when it comes to that stuff.

Ok well back to the bay he goes I guess it's a shame because he is pretty cool (and he was free).

+1 to Postal's comments.

Also, I'd highly suggest doing the research PRIOR to collecting if possible. Dumping stuff back into the ocean after it's been in your tank is a no no, due to obvious reasons such as disease.

Also, I'd suggest you looking through the collecting rules/guidelines. I wouldn't want you to end up with a ugly fine. http://m.myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/aquarium-species/ . Particularly the note, Unless otherwise noted, combined bag limit of 20 marine life fish and invertebrates per person per day, only 5 of any one species allowed. A 2-day possession limit also applies (40 total organisms, only 10 of any one species).

Back