Can anyone identify this coral?

Mark9

Can I get it off this rock?

P1060174_zpsa46e8d70.jpg

I believe yours is a small Kenya tree coral Capnella species. Maybe it's recovering from being severed mid 'trunk' and that's why the unusual appearance.
Good luck with things

Thanks,
Bought an established nano off CL, the coral was the only thing in it.
Checked salinity, 1.015.
Going to do some water changes over the next couple of days to bring it up.
Clean the filters and put something in it.

P1060171_zpsf92b5e3f.jpg

I believe yours is a small Kenya tree coral Capnella species. Maybe it's recovering from being severed mid 'trunk' and that's why the unusual appearance.
Good luck with things

+1.

looks very similar to what my kenya tree did when it came in as a hitchhiker on some live rock.

if you end up wanting to remove it you can scrape/cut it at the base with a razor blade then put some kalk paste on the spot where it was to make sure you get it all.

if you leave even 1 cell, it can grow back.

i like mine though. they provide a nice amount of movement to the tank, although they can "self frag" so you have to keep an eye out to make sure they're not taking over.

It looks more like a toadstool to me. If you want to get rid of it, just cut the base as close to the rock as you can and then smother any remaining tissue with some epoxy. Piece of cake.

I was tempted to go all in on Kenya tree. I have one that is coming back from the dead. I cut it at the base of the stump and the new growth looks almost exactly like what is pictured. But on second thought the extended polyps, texture of the cap and the base look a lot like a toadstool.

its a toadstool. You can chip it off the rock and glue the rock to another rock of your choice. Just be sure to not hurt the foot when you chip the rock.

Back