Can anyone recommend an alternative to the Mag 12/1200?

tonyespinoza

Premium Member
I am considering a beckett skimmer that needs a Mag 12 to drive it but worried that it will be noisy... Anyone know a pump capable of comparable pressure that's quieter and in the same range of energy efficiency? (Based on what I've heard from some very experienced sources, this may be the only option.)

if you would be able to use an external pump you would have a ton of choices for a pump that size, most are very quiet and add very little heat to the water

Agreed that if you can go with an external pump you will have a lot more options. As for the Mag12 being noisy, I had one and would have to feel it or put my ear right next to it to see if it was even running, not loud at all. It had a piece of what looked like a mousepad attached to the side of it that it sat on in my acrylic sump. If I turned it any other way other than laying on that mat, it was noisy though from the rattling against the sump.
Simple 5 dollar mouse pad and they are quiet.

Go with one with higher pressure and the beckett will even work better, Genx Mak 4 would be a great pump to upgrade to from the mag 12.

Kim

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15145667#post15145667 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by One Dumm Hikk
Agreed that if you can go with an external pump you will have a lot more options. As for the Mag12 being noisy, I had one and would have to feel it or put my ear right next to it to see if it was even running, not loud at all. It had a piece of what looked like a mousepad attached to the side of it that it sat on in my acrylic sump. If I turned it any other way other than laying on that mat, it was noisy though from the rattling against the sump.
Simple 5 dollar mouse pad and they are quiet.

Same thing here, I would go with the Mag, it is a very reliable pump

Back