sicce syncra "silent" 5... isn't. Need a truly silent pump around 1000-1200 gph

Turtlesteve

sicce syncra "silent" 5... isn't. Need a truly silent pump around 1000-1200 gph

I just switched from a MAG 12 return pump to the Sicce syncra silent 5... and I'm a bit dumbfounded as the new pump is louder when plumbed in the system (the only reason for swapping pumps was to reduce the noise level).

Anyone had experience with these? If it doesn't improve in a day or so I am going to have to force them to take it back. I don't know if it's a break-in issue, but this pump is LOUD - humming is noticeable from the other end of the house through walls and closed doors. The pump is hard plumbed, throttled back to about 75% with a ball valve and is pushing about 5 feet of head.

I did compare the MAG 12 versus the Sicce in a 35 plastic gallon tub of water. With no hard surfaces nearby, the Sicce was quieter, so I thought it was going to be a winner. However once installed in the sump the Sicce is louder. This Sicce vibrates MUCH more during operation as compared to the MAG 12 (noticeable when holding each pump). The sump is a 10 gallon glass tank and the vibration from the pump can be felt on the glass even when the pump is not touching anything. I have tried breaking the hard plumbing connection and lifting the pump off the bottom of the sump; neither helps much.

- Anyone using the Sicce 5 pump - how much vibration do you notice? Is this normal?
- Any suggestions for a truly silent (low vibration) pump in this size range?

Thanks,
Steve

DC pumps will definitely be quieter but if you're looking for a quiet AC pump, take a look at the Fluval Sea series. The Fluval motor block is Askol based with is very quiet.

The smaller synchra pumps are essentially silent, but the big ones are most certainly not .... as you have found. I'd look either at the varios or Vectra S1.

I have the Varios and Jabeo DC pumps. I found both to be very quiet. I do use a few inchs of silicone tubing to connect.. I like the Jabeo better just because of price and it seems to work the same.

I try to steer people away from hard plumbing a return pump. I ALWAYS use about 6”-12” of tubing to connect to my hard plumbing. I also set my pump on a silicone pad or something equivalent. Using both items have always given me great results as it stops the vibration transfer to your sump and your plumbing.

Unfortunately I cannot point you in another direction for a pump as my current sump is in my fish room where silence isn’t “really” needed.

Is it vibration or the hum of the pump that is loud? It helps tremendously to use a short section of flex pvc from the return pump. I usually make it about 12” long & place a union at the end of the flex pvc, then I transfer over to hard plumbing at the union. It also helps to place a silicone pot holder under the pump if the vibration is coming from the pump & glass.

As far as ac pumps, I really like the fluval sp. Not only are they great pumps, but they are as quiet as they get. They are my favorite & it really isn’t even close. I have a sp6 which is a 3600gph pump & it is noticeably quieter then my ehiem 1262 & it is 4 times more powerful, although the 1262 isn’t loud by any means. For u the sp2 or sp4 would be closer to the size u need.

Last edited:
Update: After letting it run for a day, it's clearly improving. I would say it's somewhere around half as noisy as it was out of the box, and slightly better than the MAG 12. Still not silent by any means.

I still think most of the noise is vibration. I'm going to try the flex tubing recommendation to see if it helps any.

For the folks recommending DC pumps - do these pumps vibrate less, or are they only quieter in terms of the actual motor noise?

Steve

Back