Can I get a yellow tang now?

ReefWhatYouSow

Hey everyone,

I've had a fish list since before I had my 210 tank setup and I've been adding fish for the last year least aggressive first etc. Right now it is mostly Blennys and wrasse, plus a foxface and 2 clowns.

What I have left to put in are mostly anthias and tangs. Possibly a few more wrasse. I was going to put the tangs in at the same time at the end, but my daughter would really like a yellow tang. It could be a while if I wait to get through the list.

Just wondering if I can put the yellow tang in now before I add the anthias and possibly more wrasse?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont see why not. Besides my hippo tang the yellow was next in my 210 followed by an assortment of fish including naso, sailfin, powder brown, and atlantic blue tang in which the yellow is cometely fine with. He doesnt bother any old or new fish.. just minds his business grazing rock.

I'm looking to get rid of mine. Getting too big for my 90. PM if interested. I'm in Lakeland.

I do have an acclimation box that I picked up recently. I'm planning to use it for all fish.

My main concern is adding the anthias in after the yellow tang. The potential other tangs will go in later (after the anthias).

The general rule for tangs would be that they would not bother other fish that don't compete for the same food or are similarly colored/shaped, like wrasses and anthias. However more important than that is the temperament of the individual fish. I had a chocolate mimic in a 300 that perstered a copperband and Moorish idol when they were first introduced. The odds would definitely be in your favor concerning the anthias, but that's not a guarantee of course. I would be more concerned about the subsequent gangs. What other tangs did you plan on adding later?

The general rule for tangs would be that they would not bother other fish that don't compete for the same food or are similarly colored/shaped, like wrasses and anthias. However more important than that is the temperament of the individual fish. I had a chocolate mimic in a 300 that perstered a copperband and Moorish idol when they were first introduced. The odds would definitely be in your favor concerning the anthias, but that's not a guarantee of course. I would be more concerned about the subsequent gangs. What other tangs did you plan on adding later?

At this time these are the tangs that I think would work well in my tank, so I'm thinking of picking a few from this list that would mesh well. Let me know your thoughts!

Squaretail Bristletooth Tang

Chevron Tang

Purple Tang

Caribbean blue tang

yellow tang

Sailfin tang

Orange shoulder

Powder blue tang (a little unsure about this one)

Your list looks good. The only thing i would suggest is if you go with a powdered tang, introduce it at the same time as the carribean/atlantic blue tang.. they are both the same sp. And will most likely fight if one is already established. My brown was established and almost killed the blue even though the blue is twice his size. I had to tare the whole tank down and put the brown in the sump for 4 days while the blue acclimated in the display. After putting the brown back in there were 0 issues.

Your list looks good. The only thing i would suggest is if you go with a powdered tang, introduce it at the same time as the carribean/atlantic blue tang.. they are both the same sp. And will most likely fight if one is already established. My brown was established and almost killed the blue even though the blue is twice his size. I had to tare the whole tank down and put the brown in the sump for 4 days while the blue acclimated in the display. After putting the brown back in there were 0 issues.

I'm definitely planning to use the acclimation box as much as possible when adding the new fish, but I was also thinking about adding all of the tangs at the same time (whether it is two, three, or four). What do you think about that?

It depends on how long your tank has been running and how long the rock has been live. My tangs are poop machines so adding 4 nice sized tangs at once might off balance your parameters for a little while. Nothing too serious though. Are you going to quarantine first? Id suggest quarantining them and dosing water with copper in case they have ich. Because of the amount of tangs i jave (6).. i had to quarantine in a 125 gal dosed with copper

Also feed tons of algae to keep them happy and less aggressive. I purchase the dried algae sheets from ealmart.. its called yama moto yama and i feed 1-2 sheets a day.

I know you like yellow tang. But get the best of both worlds ask Doug to get you an Atlantic blue tang.

That's the same as the Caribbean Blue tang on my list. I'm definitely wanting one bit hoping to put them both in without issues.

Have you had any issues with yours?

It depends on how long your tank has been running and how long the rock has been live. My tangs are poop machines so adding 4 nice sized tangs at once might off balance your parameters for a little while. Nothing too serious though. Are you going to quarantine first? Id suggest quarantining them and dosing water with copper in case they have ich. Because of the amount of tangs i jave (6).. i had to quarantine in a 125 gal dosed with copper

I don't have that large of a quarantine but I was planning on getting some small little guys. Let's say I picked four tangs that would live peacefully together and wanted to quarantine them all. Let's say that they are also 2-3 inches each. Why size quarantine should I have them in?

If they are small then quarantine in a 75 maybe. I respect what bigZ says but at the same time im proof that both live fine together. If tou purchase froma reputable dealer than maybe quarantine might not be an issue? Not sure, everyone has their own point of views

The yellow and purple and sailfin should be the most aggressive on that list. Odds are the purple. Sailfins also get huge, over a foot possibly. Likely closer to 10"-12". The Atlantic/Caribbean tangs tend to get pretty pale when they get bigger, they don't stay vibrant blue. Make sure you like the chevrons adult coloration. I do, I really like the pattern and dark colors, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. My chevron had adult colors when it was about 3". There are definitely plenty of combinations on that list that would work. Personally if you were wanting three, I would do one from each genus...zebrasoma (chevron, purple, yellow), acanthurus (powders, orange shoulder, and Caribbean) and ctenochaetus (chevron and bristletooth). The chevron, bristletooth, and orange shoulder should be pretty passive if they're average for their species.

I actually do like the look of the mature chevrons. It's funny when the people who tell me they are too dark are the same people who like black clowns or black tangs lol...

What do you think about the blue hippo tang? I know that it's a well known fish but they seem interesting.

Also! The yellow tang is in! He is happy and picking off the rocks already. Thanks nitr8! Swarles will be taken care of.

Take some pics of your new guy in the tank :) Hippo tangs are neat guys too! Mine is the most peaceful tang ever. I purchased it when it was the size of a damsel in 2014 and its grown well over the last couple of years.

Sweet! Holy smokes thats a ton of rock!! Lol it looks awesome though. Get some photos of your set up tomorrow if you can. Id love to see it.

Back