Can I keep my Flame Angel?

hawk1

I got a Flame Angel for my birthday. And I am wondering if hes ok to keep for my 40 breeder. I have in the 40 breeder 1 clown, 2 firefish, 1 tailspot blenny, 1 six line wrasse. The flame angel is getting along with everyone.

At first I would have said no, BUT I just went into one of my books in which I remembered Flame angels being listed at a min tank of 20 gal. Im sure most people will disagree with that, but I see no reason it wouldn't be fine. It just might become aggressive to fish added after it, or of similar body type. Be careful with the 6 line they can get pretty aggressive as they mature.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for that info. My LFS said it was ok, but I wanted to double check here. The six line has been in the tank over a year, and has been a good citizen.

Pretty much what he said. You will have a very hard time adding any other fish. With the addition of the Flame, you are already pushing the limits anyway.

Edit: forgot to add - you could use this as an excuse to upgrade! "well, I was happy with the 40, but since you got me this beautiful fish, and really, it would be happier in a larger tank (choose wisely), I guess I'll just have to get a new tank"

Win Win!!!

Six lines are great fish but they do get pretty big and will become aggressive later on.

If it was me I would ditch the six line. Those firefish will become easy targets when he gets bigger.

They tend to get very aggressive in tanks under 70 gallons as they mature. I had a small Flame Angel in a 50 gallon tank for a couple of years but it eventually went rouge and killed a couple of fish before I could catch him.

Back