Can I run 2 chillers?

snaza

I currently have a 130g tank and my chiller is rated for 200g. im upgrading my tank to 250g. could i get another chiller rated for 200g and run 2 or get 1 bigger one? I could get another 200g chiller for about $400 or 1 chiller rated for 500g is about $1200

thanks

I would go with whatever gave me the least total cost, in money and in wattage. Add the wattage for the two and compare with the large one. Also, not a prob if you have the space for two. If you really depend on the chiller, two would be better... if there's a malfunction with one, you at least have the other.

i have one that i bought used from a guy locally that is a 3/4 hp and i use that on my 125. i cant remember what it was rated for but i know it was much more than 125. i would say get the biggest one you can afford, ya it might use a bit more juice to run but it also wont run as long. my old one ran constantly and my electric bill in the summer was 200+ so far now in the winter, just got it so im not sure of summer bill in my new house, but so far my elec bill hasnt went over 100. most of the power i use is in my tv and computers though. my computer alone uses about as much as my tank with my halides on i was told....... icky. but i guess you could use 2, but i think if you add the amperage of running both of them it might actually cost more possibly. hope my experience helps with your decision.

Re: Can I run 2 chillers?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14128692#post14128692 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snaza
I currently have a 130g tank and my chiller is rated for 200g. im upgrading my tank to 250g. could i get another chiller rated for 200g and run 2 or get 1 bigger one? I could get another 200g chiller for about $400 or 1 chiller rated for 500g is about $1200

thanks

How much does your current chiller run now? You may be able to use it alone on your new tank especially if you can find a way to increase evaporative cooling of the tank by using fans or more effective fan cooling to help cool the tank and sump. I have cut down my chiller run time by atleast 50% by simply switching from round fans to crossflow fans.

another thing to look at is your wiring, you may need to run one of them off of another load source so you dont trip your breakers when they fire up. especially if you are running your lights and everything on say one outlet. i ended up using 2 differently wired outlets, 1 for each of my RKE powerstrips or w/e otherwise i kept waking up to messes..... wont go there fixed now but wont go there.

Back