Can I use Fiji 12 Sump skimmer compartment for cheat fuge?

Just got a great deal on this Fiji 12 sump. It has three compartments basically. The large skimmer area if 7.5" by 12" and the water will be about 7-10 inches deep. Can I use this skimmer area for a lit cheato fuge OR is it a problem that there is no sort of filtration area before the overflow to the return area?

Is it a good idea to use a circulation pump to move the cheat?

Display is 20 gallons mixed tank.

Any other tips appreciated. Thanks, Doug

figi cube 12 sump.jpeg

Last edited:
It can be used for Cheato, though I’d run a screen or similar on the return pump water entrance to reduce algae getting to the return pump.

I never used a pump when I ran Cheato and it grew fine but that’s just me. I don’t know about others.

You can but cheato makes a mess and will clog up your pumps intake. You need to find away of stopping it.
You could also use a cheato reactor in that chamber. I like the reactors because they just make less of a mess.

Fiji sumps are nice with the first section having a spot for filter floss. I like it so much more than sock or filter rollers. I just buy a big roll of filter floss and cut a bunch of them. Then just pull them out and toss when dirty. Sometimes I just rinse them off. So much easier than dealing with socks or changing filter rolls. Also is far cheaper..

Any good ideas for a good screen or other material for stopping cheat from getting over overflow ad into return chamber. Would plastic egg crate be small enough to catch the cheat but big enough to not get clogged with something else?

The issue for me wasn’t the ball itself but the individual strands that’d come loose. For me, I used a piece of sponge (the coarse type so it didn’t clog as easily and allowed water to pass through but still gave the effect of almost a multi-layer screen). I had this on hand though from prior filters (I think some use them for the “bio-media” section of HOB filters.

Back