Can inverts do okay in a minimalist tank?

monkeysee1

Hi again everyone!
Hey, ANY minimalist saltwater aquarium keepers out there? If so do you have ANY inverts in them??? How are they doing?
The minimalist aquarium look is growing on me. Been thinking about taking out some live rock and perhaps rearranging some for a minimalist look. I was planning on doing this GRADUALLY, of course, over the course of 4-6 months, while adding some more bio balls and Dr. Tim's in my sump for bacteria growth as to not throw the tank into a mini cycle. (Unless, of course, if doing design arrangement experiments with dry rock, then seeding it for 6-8 weeks, yanking the existing rock and putting in the newly seeded rock to form the new arranged design in the tank isn't too dangerous). I DON'T have any corals, just some inverts (snails, feather duster, hermits, a black spine urchin, two cleaner shrimp and two emerald crabs). Have ten fish which all get along GREAT and are doing really well.
Will my inverts (particularly the crabs) be okay or should I just chuck the idea of going minimalist?
Thanks in advance for your answers! ;)

Last edited:
They will likely be totally fine.. Don't let those thoughts stop you from making the tank how you want it..

As long as your filtration holds up and there are enough nooks and crannies left for each of them to hang out in, I cant think of a reason they wouldn't be fine.

Just make sure none of the critters you want hitchhike out on the rocks you remove

Thanks so much, mcgyvr, Anemone, and super!
You put my mind at ease!
I want EASY PEASY maintenance!!
TOTALLY love all my fish, have EVERY intention of keeping all of them - I just want to make the tank cleaner and nicer looking - want to get rid of the clutter and give the fish more swimming room! Also, I FINALLY bought two Vor-Tech MP40 powerheads, and my next step is to get some Radion lighting in a single bar to make things simple - all these freaking wires hanging along the side of my tank are driving me nuts! :confused:

Last edited:
A minimalistic tank just means that there's less things for algae to grow on IMO. Manage this and you should be able to manage that. (and vice versa)
If you just want to throw a bunch of pets/invertebrates in the tank regardless though knock yourself out. The tank WILL "level itself out" in the long run though. ;)

Last edited:
Back