Can TDO expire?

mine expired 5 months ago and I still feed it without issues, it has always been stored in the fridge though

I store mine in fridge too. Hmmm. Maybe I am over feeding them and they eat to death. Is that possible for 20 something day old fry?

normally overfeeding doesn't happen with 20 day old fry, usually when they over eat to the point of killing themselves it happens within the 1st week and then it is usually clarki's that do that.

Ok. Thank you. I just checked the bag of TDO B1 I have and the expire date is 10/2012. If it's that old would that make a difference?

I bought this current bag online from a guy who quit breeding. I didn't even think to look at the expire date. I will order new bag. My problems didn't start happening till I used this food. I was using TDO A and then going to finely crushed up flake and all was fine. Thanks for your help :)

anytime, if your problems didn't start till you used that food then it would be my 1st guess. sense you bought it used it is hard to say how the last person stored it.

I suspect that is the cause as well. I tested the ammoni and it's 0.0. What other parameters besides salinity, PH and temp could I test that may be the cause if death?

to be honest ammonia would be the only one I worry much about. in all my fry/growout tanks I have an ammonia badge for watching the levels of ammonia, I test sg once a week but I do have ATO's on each tank and I watch my temp even though I have controllers for the tanks. other than those parameters I don't check anything else. weekly water changes on the growout tanks of 50% and daily 10-20% water changes on the fry tanks.

if you have no ammonia and your temp didn't jump real fast 5+ degrees or the salinity didn't make a huge jump then IMO that just leaves that the food was bad, no other parameters that we normally test for would kill off clowns that fast, but food poisoning could.

That is what I was thinking as well. Thank you again for all the fast responses. I just threw out that food. Hopefully my next batch will live and get thing back on track :)

Expired fish food won't cause ammonia spikes if you are feeding the right amount. Expired food could have rancid fats, that could harm fish. The smell test is the best if you know what rancid oil smells like.

How to describe an odor? :)

Acrid, sharp, strong 'off' odor. Normal oils should be pleasant almost sweet odor.

Yeah that's a tough one to describe. I will say its one that sticks with you for the rest of your life. I worked for a few years in the dog food biz and the first bad bag of rancid food I smelt was enough to imprint that smell in my head for ever.

Yeah that's a tough one to describe. I will say its one that sticks with you for the rest of your life. I worked for a few years in the dog food biz and the first bad bag of rancid food I smelt was enough to imprint that smell in my head for ever.

I used to test almonds for rancidity. As I weighted them out I'd snack on them. It doesn't take long to correlate taste with empirical testing. Same thing for smell. A rancid bag of almonds is VILE! :eek1:

That one bag amond ruins the bag :(

Well, not really. This was in an agricultural lab. We got samples that were 2-3 cups of almonds taken from giant 'bags' that were aprox. 4 foot cubes. For the almonds to be considered rancid the rancidity had to reach a certain level. If it was below that, they might not taste great but were considered safe to eat.

In a batch there is always some almonds that have totally gone past. As long as the ratio of good to bad is high enough they go to market!

OK, enuf about almonds! Back to TDO!!

Back