Can you use Kalk only in a SPS tank?

gatorchem

Ok so I was wonder the experience people have had with using kalk only for Calcium/alk suppliment for a SPS dominate tank.

I currently run a 90 gallon mixed reef tank with about 50% SPS. I run saturated kalk in my auto top off and Mg dosing weekly. Things are doing well right now, but most of my SPS are small colonies or frags.

I was wondering how long that kalk was going to last me before I have to switch to two part dosing or a calcium reactor.

It depends on your intake and your growth, your natural pH, also on how much you have to top off and how frequently. Adding vinegar can increase saturation, but there are other risks in that. You can absolutely just use Ca(OH)2. Not all systems can, but some.

When your kalk can't keep up with alk/cal demands and you are adding more kalk than your rate of evaporation.

If you are going to keep sps long term, you will probably need other supplementation. As demand for alk/cal/mag will increase exponentially.

It depends on your intake and your growth, your natural pH, also on how much you have to top off and how frequently. Adding vinegar can increase saturation, but there are other risks in that. You can absolutely just use Ca(OH)2. Not all systems can, but some.

Currently I make 6 g of top off water with 6 teaspoons of kalk + 200 mL of vinegar. This top off water last me about 4.5-5 days due to evaporation.

Current tank parameters:
pH= 8.4
Ca= 420 ppm
dk (alk)= 9
Mg= 1440

I used Kalk and WC only for a year. It worked great, but my tanks grown where it won't keep up now. I add 10ml/day now + kalk still.

I only drip kalk in a 125gal. sps only. Everything is stable,but I do ran a dehumidifier to help with evap.

Currently I make 6 g of top off water with 6 teaspoons of kalk + 200 mL of vinegar. This top off water last me about 4.5-5 days due to evaporation.

Current tank parameters:
pH= 8.4
Ca= 420 ppm
dk (alk)= 9
Mg= 1440

gator why do you include the vinegar?

vinegar will allow you to dissolve more kalk in the mixture, plus it works as carbon source (like vodka).

For a SPS dominated tank, I don't think Kalk along can keep up. When my SPS were still frags (1 - 3"), Kalk alone was fine but when they start to grown into mini colonies, kalk+vinegar+fan can't keep up. My tank is 90% SPS.

For a SPS dominated tank, I don't think Kalk along can keep up. When my SPS were still frags (1 - 3"), Kalk alone was fine but when they start to grown into mini colonies, kalk+vinegar+fan can't keep up. My tank is 90% SPS.

So when my tank gets to this point what are my options? and pros and cons to those options?

Thanks

Back