Candy Cane receding????

familiar1985

In Memoriam
Is this candy cane receding or is that some base growth. I think some sand might have gotten dropped on it and then the tissue disappeared. What do you think?

June509002.jpg

June509001.jpg

HMMM..Tough call..My cane looks like that at the base...As long as the head gets nice and puffy i wouldn't worry to much..I've come 2 learn over time that the candy cane is not the easiest coral to have...I'd keep my eyes on the base ...If you see it start to turn white then you've got a problem...Man, the candy cane is tough...Good luck

Looks fine to me. I have found it hard to kill candy canes. Mine have survived through every thing. Recentlt lost all my sps due to overdosing alk, and they receeded a little for a day or 2, then they split

That is the way they grow as the heads split. I have a piece that started as four heads and has grown to over 200 heads in a couple years. As they grow out, more skeletal material shows, so I would say they are healhty and look good!

sorry to hi-jack this thread, but how do you get growth like that? I've had 2 heads for around 7 months with no new growth. what kind of placement and flow?

I would say if you see skeleton poke out the top is when you should probably worry. Or at least that's when I start worrying.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15162575#post15162575 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishgeek001
sorry to hi-jack this thread, but how do you get growth like that? I've had 2 heads for around 7 months with no new growth. what kind of placement and flow?

I feed each head mysis twice a week and get outrageous growth.

thx for the help, the growth is very weird had me a little skeptical i guess.

Mine hasn't grown too fast but i only feed like once every couple weeks. I got it like 6 months ago with 4 heads now its turning into 8. Mine was on sand bed wih med flow diretly under 150w mh. I moved it to a different area with less light recently though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15162575#post15162575 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishgeek001

they are just like anyother coral as they need stable parameters. I have mine at the bottom of my tank with little flow and their heads are constantly spitting. I hardly ever feed my corals they feed mostly on fish poo and they will eat left overs the fish don't grab. Also make sure nothings touching it. I had some that had palys grow next to them and they stopped growing heads

Back