Cannot win.

Mark, IME, sometimes it’s best to just take a tank down and start from scratch. If starting over means tomorrow or in 10 years is whatever you feel is right for you. We’ve all been there. I will say, the few times since the early 1980’s I’ve been without a tank, I always got back in.

Any corals I have in my tank when you decide to keep the current tank going or restart you are more than welcome to.

That said, if you’re serious about closing this thread, let me know and I’ll be happy to do so.
My tank is a disappointment from what I wanted. So slam me for always saying that I want to take my tank down. I had to in 2006 because my wife lost her job and I had to work overseas. That 200 gallon was to big for me. I gave my stuff to friends when I could and sold the rest.

I was lurking to get back in and never did until 3 years ago. I bought the wrong tank and have hated it since day one. I went barebottom and have hated it. I used dry Marco rock and hated it.

I am not sure why I felt attacked but it came across that way and it was not appreciated.

I apologize if I came across as attacking. Please it was all in jest. Like I said, whatever you decide to do, if you still have a tank, you’re welcome to frags if anything I have.

I still have a tank. If you want any frags of sps you are welcome.

I am just old and crotchety and work has been an mfer.

Mark, we are your friends and expect you to take a bunch of monkey ass chit from us. If I can help you in any way I’m here! Sorry the tank isn’t what you wanted! I blame LED and excess technology for the problems we encounter. I don’t think the mad push to LED was helpful as full spectrum halides and T5 were SUPERIOR to what they’re selling us these days. That said, I’m adding back two 400 watt halides over the cube as my SPS have sucked under Reefbreeder fixtures. We knew the best back then and it’s super hard to recreate with the lighting options now available.

My tank is a disappointment from what I wanted. So slam me for always saying that I want to take my tank down. I had to in 2006 because my wife lost her job and I had to work overseas. That 200 gallon was to big for me. I gave my stuff to friends when I could and sold the rest.

I was lurking to get back in and never did until 3 years ago. I bought the wrong tank and have hated it since day one. I went barebottom and have hated it. I used dry Marco rock and hated it.

I am not sure why I felt attacked but it came across that way and it was not appreciated.
That way of thinking is deadly to this hobby. Try to enjoy what you have now and make it better slowly.

This hobby is like having a nice garden. You work at it a little all the time and it grows.
It is hard to go poof and have everything nice unless you are made of money. Who is?

Ya, they are a bunch of so and so's here.
Just kidding.

Yes, we do. I’m off the whole week of Christmas.
I’ve got an MRI on the 26th and family coming the 28th. My only free day is now the 27th if you’re free. I’m looking at another surgery most likely as my once okay left leg is failing me and my back is progressively worsening rapidly.

Yes, we do. I’m off the whole week of Christmas.
I’ve got an MRI on the 26th and family coming the 28th. My only free day is now the 27th if you’re free. I’m looking at another surgery most likely as my once okay left leg is failing me and my back is progressively worsening rapidly
Dave also (historically) has a very high fish load and feeds them like crazy.
yup, think snow globe with flake foods. My denitrator and sulfur along with GFO keep nutrients manageable unless something goes haywire.

Mark, we are your friends and expect you to take a bunch of monkey ass chit from us. If I can help you in any way I’m here! Sorry the tank isn’t what you wanted! I blame LED and excess technology for the problems we encounter. I don’t think the mad push to LED was helpful as full spectrum halides and T5 were SUPERIOR to what they’re selling us these days. That said, I’m adding back two 400 watt halides over the cube as my SPS have sucked under Reefbreeder fixtures. We knew the best back then and it’s super hard to recreate with the lighting options now available.
No worries I am just to touchy.
Mark, is there anything we can do to help you?
I am ok for now. It has been the craziest time in my life and I have one more major work project coming up in January. After that I can rest some. The life of an IT guy!

Last edited:
I have been slacking. My phosphates and nitrates are off the scale. I have lost a few sps which is my own fault. I want to downgrade into a smaller system.

Back