canon lens question

dutch27

I recently picked up a used DSLR (Canon 50D) after a couple years of using a P&S that had the ability to control all settings in full manual.

I've been reading up on lenses - not ready to buy new ones, just trying to learn - and am curious can explain to me the difference between two.

The EF 50mm f/1.8 II Standard (which I got with the camera) vs the EF 50mm f/2.8 Macro. It seems they both have the same 50mm focal length, so outside of the aperture difference I'm trying to figure out what makes one a macro and one not. Any input? I have interest in learning how to compose nice macros (not just aquarium), so eventually I may choose to invest in a true macro.

Also, just curious, what general settings does anybody who shoots their tank at around a 20k temp use? I've been experimenting with shutter, ISO, etc to find the sweet spot on the camera and am having limited success. I seem to have quite a bit of noise at times, I think my ISO is in general too high? I've been playing mostly around 400+ with the ISO. My P&S I would use at around 80-100, but the DSLR lenses I have do not have image stabilization so I'm going to start shooting with the tripod more to get crisper photos.

Macro references the ability to take a 1:1 photo. Macro lenses can get MUCH closer to their objects and still be able to focus. Non-macro lenses can't do that. For what it's worth, I had the 100L Macro f/2.8... and it was amazing.

I have the Canon EOS 50D, Canon 100mm macro lens and 20,000K lights.

I shoot remotely with my camera hooked via usb to my laptop and control all the camera settings except focus from my laptop.

I use a tripod and iso 100 most of the time. I shoot in RAW and adjust my white balance during post processing. I can also alter exposure after shooting using RAW images which is quite often useful.

I recently picked up a used DSLR (Canon 50D) after a couple years of using a P&S that had the ability to control all settings in full manual.

I've been reading up on lenses - not ready to buy new ones, just trying to learn - and am curious can explain to me the difference between two.

The EF 50mm f/1.8 II Standard (which I got with the camera) vs the EF 50mm f/2.8 Macro. It seems they both have the same 50mm focal length, so outside of the aperture difference I'm trying to figure out what makes one a macro and one not. Any input? I have interest in learning how to compose nice macros (not just aquarium), so eventually I may choose to invest in a true macro.

Also, just curious, what general settings does anybody who shoots their tank at around a 20k temp use? I've been experimenting with shutter, ISO, etc to find the sweet spot on the camera and am having limited success. I seem to have quite a bit of noise at times, I think my ISO is in general too high? I've been playing mostly around 400+ with the ISO. My P&S I would use at around 80-100, but the DSLR lenses I have do not have image stabilization so I'm going to start shooting with the tripod more to get crisper photos.

With the 50D at ISO 400 you shouldn't have too much noise. I shoot my 7D up to about 800 with pretty good results, over that though and the noise gets prohibitive. Using a tripod will help - will allow you to use a lower ISO and shutter speed while getting a sharper image. If you are shooting strictly under 20k lighting, it is going to be tough to get a balanced shot. You'll need custom white balancing or a program that allows adjustments of WB in post. Even then, with those adjustments, you still may find that your shots aren't quite what you are hoping for. I have RB Cree LEDS for example, and trying to get a balanced shot under them without washing out certain hues is almost next to impossible. Your 50 prime will produce sharp images, even hand held - just practice and you will indeed find the "sweet spot". One thing I'm finding useful is to slightly under expose shots (when using evaluative metering) by about 1 stop and you'll come out with a more interesting image.

Macro references the ability to take a 1:1 photo. Macro lenses can get MUCH closer to their objects and still be able to focus. Non-macro lenses can't do that. For what it's worth, I had the 100L Macro f/2.8... and it was amazing.

This is true in that a macro lens will have a much shorter minimum focus distance between sensor and subject. However, not all macro lens are 1:1 - I think the shorter ones in the 50 to 60 mm range are not true 1:1.

With the 50D at ISO 400 you shouldn't have too much noise. I shoot my 7D up to about 800 with pretty good results, over that though and the noise gets prohibitive. Using a tripod will help - will allow you to use a lower ISO and shutter speed while getting a sharper image. If you are shooting strictly under 20k lighting, it is going to be tough to get a balanced shot. You'll need custom white balancing or a program that allows adjustments of WB in post. Even then, with those adjustments, you still may find that your shots aren't quite what you are hoping for. I have RB Cree LEDS for example, and trying to get a balanced shot under them without washing out certain hues is almost next to impossible. Your 50 prime will produce sharp images, even hand held - just practice and you will indeed find the "sweet spot". One thing I'm finding useful is to slightly under expose shots (when using evaluative metering) by about 1 stop and you'll come out with a more interesting image.

This is true in that a macro lens will have a much shorter minimum focus distance between sensor and subject. However, not all macro lens are 1:1 - I think the shorter ones in the 50 to 60 mm range are not true 1:1.

You're right... 1:2 for this particular lens. That's why I brought up the 100 Macro.

if its just for Fish, I recommend the EFS 60mm Macro from canon.

Here is a couple examples using that lens

IMG_46321_zps7ddc3833.jpg

IMG_26561.jpg

Not the best everyday lens though.

sorry they aren't salt pics, i'm just getting into salt now :)

Great shots, I'll keep that in my head for potential lenses if I make the leap to a true dedicated macro. It wouldn't be just for fish though, I'd be interested in macros of bugs and plant life as well.

Great shots, I'll keep that in my head for potential lenses if I make the leap to a true dedicated macro. It wouldn't be just for fish though, I'd be interested in macros of bugs and plant life as well.

If you are interested in bugs and plant life, I'd look at the 90mm and longer lenses. 50 to 70 is just too short.

Thanks :), if you want to shoot bugs and stuff you're going to need a flash, they move so fast that if you want superb detail and no motion blur a flash is the way to go. That being said you could get away with a 60mm and an extension (x1.4), I like the 60mm because it still allows you to get close up to your tank where a 90mm wont let you get as close.

But if you want an all around macro that you could use for other things as well then i recommend a 100mm macro. L series or not, these lenses will give you reach and also awesome detail. regardless of which lens you choose for best results you're going to need a flash.

If you are interested in bugs and plant life, I'd look at the 90mm and longer lenses. 50 to 70 is just too short.

Totally agree, sneaking up on bugs with a 60mm is a talent, I use a 7D so its 60mm x 1.6 but still its pretty close. I'm going to go with you and recommend the 100mm, its an awesome lens.

A few things to remember over all, as a general rule, the lower your ISO the better your image quality, so flash flash flash :). A direct flash (build in flash for example) will wash out the color of your fish (there are many techniques to taking photos in a tank but its kinda a learning curve. Figure out what works best and refine it.

I have the Canon EOS 50D, Canon 100mm macro lens and 20,000K lights.

I shoot remotely with my camera hooked via usb to my laptop and control all the camera settings except focus from my laptop.

I use a tripod and iso 100 most of the time. I shoot in RAW and adjust my white balance during post processing. I can also alter exposure after shooting using RAW images which is quite often useful.

+1 on shooting RAW!

You have to pardon me but I don't know the 50D that well, if it is available, I always shoot a small jpg and a RAW file this allows me to quickly scan the pictures for what I want to look at closer in RAW and prune the bad ones before opening the RAW image.

Back