Canon/Nikon DSLR Users

the MP-E-65

This is a lens that really has no equal anywhere and is the reason I want Canon body even though I shoot Nikon. Around 5:1 magnification, but has a really steep learning curve. Focusing is extreamly tight and DOF can be a bear also. Most of the guys that use them use rails. Off camera flashes are also common with them.

I do quite a bit of my stuff with off camera flashes. When getting that tight up against something, light gets tough to come by. Most on camera flashes are too far away when shooting something a half inch from the lens. I'll get you some pics tonight when I get home.

Ok, so here's my off camera flashes.

DSC_6144.jpg

These are the smallest speedlights Nikon makes and are mainly macro flashes as they aren't very powerful. They are also controlable by my D200. This is a shot at minimum focusing distance with my 105mm. I know their not great shots but they are freehand as to not take up much time, (Pens game is on).

DSC_6145.jpg

This is with the 105 and a 36mm Kenko extension tube about as close to MFD as I could get. These were all shot at f9.5. You can also see as more tube length is added, the DOF gets shallower.

DSC_6147.jpg

With 56mm extension tubes.

DSC_6149.jpg

The great thing about off camera flashes is you can still get away with fast shutter speeds and still have enoug light. You can still keep a low ISO.

With 68mm of extension tubes. Not quite Frankenlens.

DSC_6154.jpg

Damn, my dime is dirty!!! :lol:

Yeah. It's reversed on the mount but reconnected electrically so I still have full aperture control. It's a frankenstein lens but it'll do 3:1 magnification and cost me basically nothing but some time.

whats ur take on extension tubes?? i was thinking about the kenko set. will it benefit me and will my aperture be limited?

Check the macro sticky, up top.

I like tubes. My "frankenlens" is pretty fragile for field use. I use it, and my 100 macro mostly in studio. Out in the field I try to travel pretty light so the macro stays at home and I carry tubes.

This is an oldie but a goodie and it seems to fit in with the current theme ...
imaged with a Nikkor 105mm micro and an off camera SB-800

1b4461ff.jpg

Back