Wow is macro a BLAST!

SouthFla

Not sure why I never tried macro photography, but my goodness what a hoot! In celebration of my reef's first year anniversary, I grabbed a Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens, and tried it out today on my tank. It's going to take me some practice to master white balance, focus and composition (aaaaand timing to avoid my constantly photo-bombing melanurus and grama trio LOL). And I'd love to be able to get some fish close-ups but not sure technically how I'm going to get fast enough shutter speeds for that"¦

Anyway, thought I'd share my first batch of pics. It's amazing to see detail that you don't pick up with the naked eye-I LOVE the geometry of the green Pocillopora polyp complex. Most of these shots are of my LPS, and I apologize as I'm not 100% sure on the ID of everything. Shot with my Canon 5D MKIII, ISO 200-800, f/16-25, 1sec-1/20, with noise reduction, resizing and sharpening in post.

FTS 1 year (crappy iPhone pic):

Reef1Year.jpg

Torch:

torch.jpg

Branching Hammer:

branchhammer.jpg

Toadstool Leather:

leather.jpg

Galaxea:

galaxea.jpg

Unidentified Acro?

acro.jpg

Purple Gorgonian:

gorg.jpg

Branching Hammer:

branchhammer2.jpg

Trumpet Coral:

trumpet.jpg

Green Poci?

greenpoci.jpg

Awesome tank and pics.

We have a Cannon 80d and love taking pics with 100mm usm macro lense.. Def amateurs with the camera but your right its Awesome fun learning.Night sky images of the moon with the 300mm and x2 lens is amazing as well. Can see the craters on the moon and beyound..

Thank you for sharing

Is there a camera that I could get similar (obviously not equal) results out of that costs significantly less than that one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Is there a camera that I could get similar (obviously not equal) results out of that costs significantly less than that one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

There are. some of the small body mirror-less DSLR Cameras can produce awesome images.. Cannon Nikon Fujitsu olympus all make them below 500.00. Many 200 plus cameras can do quite well with some tinkering and proper lighting..

Thanks all :thumbsup:

Mpyers, I'm sure there are, however technically aquarium photography is challenging due to the distortion from the glass (must shoot exactly straight on and level with subject), generally low light requiring either still subjects (corals with pumps shut off for no water movement) or cameras with excellent high-ISO quality and/or "fast" lenses (i.e. f/2.8 or better) with macro (1:1) close up ability. You can get by with other gear and techniques, but nothing beats a tripod mounted camera with fast macro glass :D

There are some AMAZING macro photography guys around here, so lots of inspiration available. Good luck!

Back